Agnostic.com

15 2

Interpretation of the bible

Does a non believer interpret the the bible differently than a believer? It's the same information is it not? Why are they so many different interpretations of God's word and why is there no absolute truth?

Tendix 5 Jan 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My feelings are that the bible is merely a scrap book of a mixture of mainly fairy tales, with a smattering of probable truths., this guy did probably once exist, but the overall acceptance by millions of his different followers, over the centuries, has brought nothing but death and destruction to millions of innocent people. and continues unabated to this day.. A non believer certainly interprets the bible in a different way to the faithful. [ faith is that characteristic which one must have, in order for the follower to believe the unbelievable. ].

Early on Christianity separated from it's Jewish origins. The Bible was then interpreted literally using pagan magical ideas. Early anti Semitism led to a complete devaluation of the original Hebrew understanding of both the old and new testament. This is why there is virtually no logic behind traditional Christian interpretations and why these interpretations are susceptible to illogical magical thinking. They are all equally invalid.

I lean toward allowing only Jews to interpret the Old Testament. Christians get crazy with the Old Testament.

How do you interpret Harry Potter? Who cares, it's fiction. Every Christian interprets it differently, anyway which takes away more credibility.

I started my degree in religious studies with the outlook that the Bible is the word of God. I just assumed God wrote it. Then, I came to learn more about the history of Christianity and the formation of the Bible and completely change my interpretation of how it works.

A believer approaches the Bible looking to confirm its veracity while those who don't believe will be looking at it more skeptically. If you start with the belief that you're reading the words of the creator of everything, it's not easy to back off that position. Skepticism will lead you to find the explanation that best fits the evidence.

This is good...watch
[facebook.com]

The Bible was written by many authors with many ideas of what god was. So we have many opinions of God's opinions in the book. Interpretation is the readers opinion of the authors opinion of God's opinions. We have many translations of the bible. So now we have translators opinions of the original authors opinions, of God's opinion that must be assessed through the readers opinions, that all end up with different opinions of what it actually ment.
Of course that's just my opinion.

May be the same information but is not the same frame of mind. Perception, purpose of the reader. Agenda. Never the same result.

yes its a waste of a good tree

Tendrix, every church interprets the Bible differently from each other. They go to great ends to make that book conform to what they already believe. It's not that hard to do because it's so contradictory. Non-believers just take what it says at face value and they don't have preconceived notions about what it says. Just read the very first chapter and listen to different preachers and you will hear hundreds of versions of creation. The earth is 6,000 years old, 49,000, millions and yes, some billions. I read it and it says there was a firmament above the earth that divided the waters from the waters and the heavenly bodies were embedded in the structure. The Persians and Babylonians believed that also. I can just say that it is an ancient myth by bronze age people who tried to explain something as best they could, and let it go at that. Face value.

gearl Level 8 Jan 9, 2018

I actually began my quest for truth by examining the origins of the Bible. That religious section of any library will always have a few dozen books on the subject. If you want to have a debate with Christians on this topic, then it is mandatory to understand the Septuagint, The Vulgate, and the origins of the King James Bible.

Like the game telephone, each interpretation changes to fit the orthodoxy of the time, but there are no intact originals.

It’s because you he Bible is so vague, so haphazardly compiled and so inconsistent that you have to think up clever ways to recincike it with itself. There’s also no absolute truth outside logic. It would be nice to treat it as a historical document and reconcile it or at least explain it historically, but being a “holy book” that’s not possible.

Yes, but it could be invalidated as such and relegated to the back shelf along with the book of the dead and Gilgamesh.

I don't believe in absolute truth, but the bible is a book written by many authors at different times. And I believe that has helped it's longevity. If one shoe doesn't fit, there is a whole shoe store to shop from in that book.

I'm a questioning Christian and my fellow Christians have labeled me as a non believer because I question God's word. I think the Bible is out dated. Not sure if I'm agnostic, believer or even athiest.

I question whether the words of another person are the words of god. The bible is a whole lot of words of men who say they are the words of god. But then again, if no one knows the word of god, then how do you worship? Catch-22.

In fact many Christian denominations, and churches within denominations, interpret the bible differently. Certain denominations are so sure that their interpretation is the only valid one that they claim that anyone who doesn't agree with them is bound for hell. I was a practicing Christian for years until it just became too much. When a person or institution cannot stand up to scrutiny, that person or institution must be rejected.

My best advice it to NEVER stop thinking for yourself. Always question things and do your best to verify them by reliable means.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13779
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.