Agnostic.com

8 1

What's the most asinine custom believers participate in and why?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

communion they literally believe they are eating Christ and drinking his blood through transubstantiation.

The most asinine custom is the practice of parading around a dead man on a stick to remind people that the died for their sins, when it is more like a macabre way of saying you have to suffer in life to get your reward after death.

Once you become a true atheist, all religious practices become completely asinine, but I think it has to be praying for me, as it is at the core of 'having a relationship' with god and so much useless time is spent doing it. Added to that are the stupid studies they quote saying that prayer actually works plus all of those FB posts saying 'pray for us' or 'thoughts and prayers'; it is endless amusement seeing anything about prayer for any religion. Prayer is more like schizophrenia than anything magical.

I was going to say it depends on the type of belief, but then I realized that belief in something for which there is no objective evidence in spite of ample evidence to the contrary is a pretty asinine thing to do. So, please forgive the sweeping generalization, but believing is the most asinine thing believers do. Everything else pales in comparison.

Well an orgy celebrating devil worship might.be a level of asininity I'd stoop to on occasion.

SamL Level 7 Oct 17, 2017

Wow, so many. I think it all can be called magical thinking. Bargaining with a god, thinking that you are a special creation while others suffer and die is selfish and irrational. The idea that a god is concerned about what you eat or your sexual practices has become completely foreign to me. It is something silly from childhood, as well as being damaging to human beings.

Drinking "the blood of Christ" seems pretty creepy even if it is just watered down wine.

AmyU Level 2 Oct 14, 2017

The altar call at my (non religious) fathers funeral was pretty goddamned asinine

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1378
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.