Agnostic.com

32 2

Naked photos- what do you think?

“You need to put some clothes on,” I replied mildly. Through Fitness Singles, I had asked a man to send me a recent photo since his pictures were too old.

He sent a picture of himself in scanty briefs, standing and holding a guitar above a bulging crotch.

With online dating, leading with naked photos is the hallmark of a douchebag who just wants casual sex. Sending this photo before meeting showed poor judgment and impulsiveness.

“Damn, he’s hot!” I thought. He probably hoped for that reaction. "Down, girl!" my good sense argued. "Pump the brakes."

On the other hand....

At age 63, he is a registered nurse who works in critical care at a hospital. With a healthy lifestyle, he works out, rides a bicycle and has a large garden on one acre of property. He loves hiking, too. Divorced, he raised four daughters. These are good things, to quote Martha Stewart.

But that photo bothers me. Am I being too critical?

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 July 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments (26 - 32)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I wouldn't lead with that picture. I wouldn't even do shirtless unless that had been discussed, better yet requested. (I know what I look like without a shirt, I know not everyone thinks it's a good look. Tastes vary. Lucky for me.)

I've never had anyone send me a picture of herself in something revealing the very first pic. Maybe soon after, but not the very first. What would my reaction be if someone did? Probably I would think "She's very forward" (which I like, personally) "and very eager" (ditto) but also, the back of my mind would wonder, "why so eager?" I'm slightly paranoid by trade, and that approach would probably put me on my guard... why is she throwing herself at me this way?

Now, we men do throw ourselves at women sometimes, we wish women wanted to see us naked as much as we want to see them naked, and while that may be true in person, it's not the case with pictures texted on a phone. Right? So maybe he really hoped you would be impressed, and I guess you were... but at the same time, he doesn't seem to get the fact that it was much too soon. A mixed bag at best, someone to be cautious about. That's my take, anyway.

Guys often wrongly assume that women want revealing pics, because they want revealing pics. I'd say its possibly a warning flag, but also I am a benefit of the doubt person.

He might just be overly proud that he has a high level of fitness...

Could go either way, I think..

arnies Level 7 July 24, 2018

I actually get woman sending me naked pics. Some have ask how long is your dick, I reply, it not the size of the boat, it's the motions and rhythm of the ocean. She said, you will do.

Then I say, I'm taking a cold shower now. Generally sluts are a turn off.

At 63, he may be feeling like his age is working against him. I'm trying to put myself in his place and think about what might be going through my mind if I were him. So, he's a registered nurse, and even though I think that's great there are a lot of people who might think a male nurse isn't such a wonderful career path (perceptions of gender roles are still hard to shake). So, he keeps active and eats right, which lead to him having a great physique. If I were him, I might be thinking, "I'm getting up there in years, have a career that a lot of people don't think is very manly, and I'm competing on dating sites for the attention of women who are seeing profiles of much younger men as well, and if I want to attract someone as active as me I have to advertise in that vein, to show I can keep up with the guys half my age. I'm in good shape, but that won't last forever, so I'd better show off a bit while I'm still competitive." I'm not saying he's not just looking for casual sex, because that's a real possibility, but that might not be his motivation. Was he fully clothed in the photo where he was a lot younger? I suspect his age is starting to feel like an impediment to meeting women, and he's overcompensating, but he might still be a douchebag. (Sorry, I know that's not much help. Truthfully, only he knows his motivations, and even he might not be fully aware of them.)

@resserts

I think it's wonderful for men to become nurses and schoolteachers.

It shows compassion and character to take care of sick people.

@LiterateHiker Oh, I agree. I just think it can be something men sometimes feel self-conscious about — though it's much more common and widely accepted now than at one time.

I guess I am not shocked by anything anymore, but am confused by the signals. It has been a very long time since anybody accused me of a lack of confidence. I'm usually considered Type A. But I would never consider sending a nude picture of myself, or anybody else, over the internet. Call me old fashioned, but I also wouldn't want a nude picture of somebody I was considering dating. I kind of recall a line from a movie where this guy says a woman's body is a precious gift and should be unwrapped slowly and carefully. I'm that guy.

Strictly no to digital ones

Unless you have requested Dick Pic, it should Not be sent, In MY Opinion Hun

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:138147
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.