Agnostic.com

4 0

Reasons to leave the 2 party system.

[ivn.us]

William_Mary 8 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just have 1 encompassing reason really. They're both corrupt to the core.

Some valid points-Why does Bernie run as a Democrat and not an Independent. Because this is a two party democracy-take a lot to change that.

He pulled a pretty good con, in my opinion, on us. All said and done by the way the whole primary went down, I'll never vote for a democrat again, or republican. And how the primary went down, I'd argue democracy is dead. Between party suppression, voter suppression, voter purging, and vote tampering, gerrymandering, by both parties, there is no sensible way to even refer to it as democracy. I believe Sanders switch to the democrat party to play the very role that most of us who then supported him was to pull in his supporters to Clinton. Afraid of not having anyone to challenge her would look like she was entitled. They had to cover that so it couldn't be used by the republicans.

Take a look at "banana republics" and "europeans pan slug politics" nothing gets done. The minority always making deals for something they don't believe in... is the 3rd wheel whoring its way to relevance. Not that 2 bad parties makes good politics either. And there is that other issue. When Salvador Allende got the victory in the elections in Chile with percentage in the 30's, US cia used those numbers as the excuse to remove him from power. You want 3rd Party Option? Remove the electoral college first and hope if atheist, pray if god fearing that another nation do not interfere in our election because of the numbers. The Notion of 51 percent is Majority has to be Removed from our minds.

...none of which are persuasive. Third parties only serve to split the vote of major parties, ON THE SIDE YOU WANT TO WIN. Nader gave Republicans the White House in 2000, for example.

We have a two-party system. If you really want to make policy, and not just a futile gesture, you adopt one of them and work to make it reflect your values as best you can.

I could also say Clinton voters took away Sanders win. With all due respect, we have a right to vote for who ever we wish to vote for. Without having that insult lingering over us to excuse a loss. If you have people with valid reasons who don't want to vote for you, blaming them for a lost is simply a means to degrade and avoid the issues that drives them to their chosen candidate. We should also have the right to have at least 2 other major parties allowed to debate and in the process. I totally dislike the Libertarian Party, but they have enough support they should also be allowed into the process to be heard.

Any system like ours will inevitably boil down to two parties. See Duverger's Law. [en.m.wikipedia.org]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13854
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.