Agnostic.com

11 2

What should you do if you meet the Buddha walking up the road?

CallMeDave 8 July 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Make a mental note to stop doing so much acid.

Jnei Level 8 July 27, 2018

Ask him to put a shirt on. Those are some serious man boobs.

What is it about him that identifies him as the Budha? Is he wearing a sandwich board, like those people outside tax offices early in the year? Is he walking up to people, "Hi. I'm Budha. How are you?" Is there a crowd around him, declaring him to be Budha? Wondering if my first reaction wouldn't be to question my sobriety.

Kill hm

@CallMeDave Read the article cited below and the conclusion I reach is that the "road" is metaphorical and the Budha is metaphorical, so at best, the encounter is improbable. Not much of a journey on that one!

@chalupacabre huh. The road is life as the Buddha is the Tao? The saying stands out because be for a Buddhist to say kill anything is odd, much less their Messiah. But I agree it's not literal. Thank karma.

Tell him to stay hydrated and to wear a hat.

Hermit Level 7 July 25, 2018

Say hello?

Is he the fat one or the skinny one? If its the fat one, I would tell him a fart joke. If its the skinny one, I'd bagger him until he ate something.

"Whatever your conception is of the Buddha, it’s WRONG! Now kill that image and keep practicing. This all has to do with the idea that reality is an impermanent illusion. If you believe that you have a correct image of what it means to be Enlightened, then you need to throw out (kill) that image and keep meditating.

Most people have heard the first chapter of the Tao, “The Tao that can be named is not the eternal Tao.” (So if you think you see the real Tao, kill it and move on)."

stolen from the web somewhere

Plus one to @tnorman1236

Walk with him and see what he has to say. Ask questions.

Greet him, politely, ask after his health, give polite answers to anything he might have to say, then carry on.

Basically the same as I treat everyone I encounter.

Fornax Level 5 July 25, 2018

Kill him.

Why?

@Fornax That's the old Zen koan.

@Fornax [dailybuddhism.com]

@Fornax I think it's because he is an impostor. I'm not sure why. Maybe Buddha is supposed to have reached his destination.

@brentan See @CallMeDave's comment above.

@tnorman1236 I guess I understand the premise behind "kill him". I still wouldn't.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:139769
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.