Agnostic.com

5 0

LINK Is Doubt a Sin?

A sampling of what Christians think about doubt...

Rhetoric 7 July 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Doubt is a healthy part of a thinking being. We should think and ask questions to find out the real truth. Most often, it will lead you to an eye opener and expose the falsehood. And one must follow the truth where it leads you

I wish more people had your perspective. πŸ™‚

To much time on sin and not enough on being a good person.

Marine Level 8 July 28, 2018

In at least the authoritarian / fundamentalist precincts of faith, doubt is definitely considered sinful. Indeed, it is generally considered the one unpardonable sin.

And why wouldn't it be -- skeptical, critical thinking is inherently inimical to religious faith.

The question should be, is there such a thing as "sin?"

There is that.

I'd be interested in the question of "how high should doubt be considered as a value in a given context (and through the collection of those contexts, in general)?

@Rhetoric In a religious context, doubt is not a value, and is in fact the enemy of faith. The so-called virtue of faith is valued even to this day! Faith, that hideous stillborn whose parents were ignorance and insanity, and which the Bible itself defines as:

β€œβ€¦the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”
Hebrews 11:1 (KJV)

What possible place in our thinking should faith occupy today? In my experience, there can be no substance in hoped-for things and no presentable evidence in unwitnessed things. Could anything be more absurd than this? And yet Jesus rebuked those who lacked this supposed virtue!

"And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?"
Matthew 14:31 (KJV)
"Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed."
John 20:29 (KJV)

Religious faith involves claiming to know things we cannot know, and the Bible even demands that we throw away our skepticism, critical thinking and reason.

"But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind."
James 1:6 (RSV)
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own insight."
Proverbs 3:5 (RSV)

@pnfullifidian This is probably a fairly accurate assessment of what the bible teaches about faith and the reason why "faith" is of little interest to me and shouldn't be to as many people as it is.

However, that's not the question that interests me. There seems to me to be a subtle shade between faith (religious in some form, or on the extreme, blind) and doubt (uncertainty, or on the extreme, full disbelief) that warrants some consideration around how we go about valuing doubt. This shade is, I think, why people think "faith" should be valued, though it is not something exclusively about faith, but more about a basic limit to doubt.

What I mean is that there is some degree to which our knowledge is about informing our actions. Knowledge for knowledge's sake may be something I (and many non-theists) enjoy, but knowledge does have the wider function of assisting in decision-making. As such, there are ways in which our uncertainties can stop us from actions in important moments. And I think there is a big (and partly reasonable) fear of this in elevating doubt.

Similarly, it is usually important for people to trust themselves in their decisions, but manipulative people use confusion to control individuals. So being confused/uncertain is sometimes a legitimate sign that someone else is "against you", not "for you" (as religious people would put it).

I don't have time at this moment to defend and clarify doubt here. But I'm really trying to point out that doubt, as a value, does and should have its' limits (honestly, like basically any other value). And those limits are a part of something which the religions glom onto as part of their reasons for "faith", though they are taking it too far.

This little gem comes from German former member of the first presidency
Dieter F. Uchtdorf
Affectionately know by active Mormons as "the Silver fox" and by ex Mormons as
apostle Fuckedoff
especially since he was unceremoniously sacked by new president Russell M. Nelson

That encapsulates religion's relationship to doubt so well. πŸ™‚ Good find!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:140484
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.