Agnostic.com

56 4

For those who have no children, would you date a partner with a child?

If you didn't have a child, would you be willing to accept a partner who does have children? Would you consider those children your own if the relationship was serious? How involved in raising them would you be?

TwistyOwl 5 July 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It all depends on the ages of the adults and the kids and what further plans for kids the adults have.
Before I had kids I’d prefer a guy to not have them because I wanted to have kids and it would be easier, but it was just a preference. But that gets harder in your 30’s. Did find a guy older that didn’t have kids and wanted them. I got pregnant 2 weeks after he proposed.

Yes.

I enjoy children and being around them, so having a partner with children would not be a big deal to me. I've always wanted to be a mother some day, but have struggled with the ethics of bringing more children into our world (which is why I'm leaning towards adoption if I ever do decide to have a family), that said, if my partner already had children that would work out fairly ideally for me. I would easily accept their children as my own and would want to be as involved in their lives as any other mother would want to be.

Mea Level 7 July 29, 2018

I have done so in the past. It's a difficult line to walk--if you get close to the children and it doesn't work out with the parent, that's another messy little heartbreak. On the other hand, you can't date a parent for very long without getting to know their kids.
I stayed in an abusive relationship for the sake of her child (and because I was not very good at relationships and boundaries yet), and the whole thing was very difficult for all involved. That does not mean it is not worth a try. (Well, except the abusive part. Don't try that.)

I have children, but I'm answering anyway. =P LOL!

While I prefer to date someone who either has no children, or none at home, I am not letting that in any way restrict who I make connections with here on this site. All of the ladies I have established a rapport with here either have children at home, or are empty nesters. If I wound up in a relationship and the woman had one or more young'uns at home, how close I got to them would depend largely on their situation. Is dad involved in their lives? If so, I would never presume to replace him. I would just become another adult in their lives, and if we all wound up living together I'm sure I would function as a co-parent, but the message would be clear that they have a dad and it ain't me. I would work to make that situation as positive for the kids as possible.

Now with that said, I love kids and I know that--unless they were complete monsters and every moment in their presence was misery (which would likely impact my relationship with mom)--I'd love them too and would behave as a nurturing and loving father to them.

You need to think of more then yourself and the person you are going to date. The kids will play a huge part too. You will spend holidays, birthdays,vacations, etc. With them and if it ends you never get to see them either.

Mokvon Level 8 July 29, 2018

I love children and I could accept a partner with children and I think they could be like mine.
In the past I had a parter with a girl, I and she have loved each other.

I don’t have a problem with children. It’s unfortunate when the relationship ends because I’ve grown attached to not only the lady but the children also.

Personally, I would. I cannot speak for anyone else, but if I dated someone and enjoyed their company, I wouldn't have a problem with a child. And I wouldn't fret over what is until the what if became a this is.
Over the years, ive dated women with children and have shouldered the responsib8lity of being a good and decent role model for her child or children.

I met and married a woman with a child. I fell in love with him first. We were together for 19 years and had three girls. Unfortunately our son[I had adopted him] died in an avalanche a few years ago.

At my age any woman going out with me is not likely to have children living at home. I can tell you from experience, grown children can be a much larger pain in the ass than the younger ones.

I have and would date someone with a child. I had no problem with being with her or helping her raise her daughter. However, I asked if it was alright if she didn’t call me dad. I was happy to play that role, but I didn’t want her to “replace” (if you will) her actual father with me. I wanted her real father to be a part of her life.

The two of them had personal issues, but he was still a good dad to their daughter. Actually, it turned out that she was the crazy one which is why our relationship didn’t work.

Leo716 Level 6 July 30, 2018

I never thought I would... until I did. I've never had an interest in children so it was odd at first but not terrible.

In one scenario I was also spoiled in that my girlfriend was married so I was able to help out sometimes when they needed me but I wasn't overwhelmed by the scenario.

As kind as they're not looking for me to be their new dad of the bat I'm okay with dating someone with kids now.

The women I go out with frequently have adult children, so it really isn't an issue.

Absolutely.

Yes
Maybe - depends on the circumstances, at my age most women are empty nesters and I'm pretty sure I don't ever want to live with anyone again
Not at all as I wouldn't date anyone with young kids, I chose not to have children and I'm happy with that choice.

Most likely I wouldn't date a person with children. I have no desire to be a father. I don't the patience and understanding a child would need. No, I wouldn't consider them my own if I ended up with a partner with children and do little with raising them.

Yes, and I did more than once. I now have a lovely stepdaughter in her 30s, who is a brilliant lawyer!

Man, this is a difficult question for me. I have no parenting or disciplinary skills whatsoever, and I know that if I was put in a position where I was raising children I would grow to resent them. I haven't lived my life for myself yet, and I know that it would be my responsibility to live for them. I would certainly consider dating someone who has adult children, who are responsible for themselves, though.

Nope. Grown up kids, yes. Small kids, no. I want to be a man’s partner not a mum.

Livia Level 6 Aug 9, 2018

I would and I would love her kids and do my best to support them.

Absolutely. Most men grow up when they have kids. I would rather him have a child than be a child.

Once, in my thirties, I dated a man with young children. I knew quickly it wasn't for me. Adult children are a different story. I haven't given up hope to have grand-children via someone else's children.

Only if the kids were over 18. I can’t stand children for more than a few minutes.

Livia Level 6 Aug 17, 2018

I did marry a single mom (second marriage) with an autistic and delayed development child.
We have been together for 20 years... SHe is my best everything, even though sometimes
drives me nuts 🙂

I do not think that it should matter - either you are in (all pluses and "minuses" ) or you are not...
If the one is the one, than he/she is the one... Everything else is an icing on a cake 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:142419
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.