Agnostic.com

18 4

LINK Why can't you go faster than light? - YouTube

A short explanation of why we cannot travel faster than the speed of light.

Alas Star Trek had warp speed and can we create worm holes?

Nakiarogue 5 July 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You can go faster than light. You just can't go the speed of light, so you can't get there from here. The equations for Lorentz Transformations clearly show this. Of course, if you are going faster than light you are also going backwards in time. That's what a tachyon is.

Interesting. Dr. Tyson has stated we can't go back in time and if a time machine could be made it would only go back to when the machine was made. Haven't seen an explanation of his reasoning though. I understand that if you could travel at the speed of light time would stop for you so it does make sense that if you could travel faster than the speed of light you would go backwards in time. You would still be traveling in space, yes? So the is a possibility that you could get to your destination before you had in your timeline started the trip, yes?

Tyson's comments are based on the characteristics of an Einstein-Rosen bridge, commonly known as a wormhole. I see wormholes as a dead end, as you wouldn't survive the journey, so why bother. But there are other equations that can be used instead. Yes, photons do not experience time at all, and therefore see the entirety of the universe as having no size. Thus, if you could go the speed of light then a trip of any distance would take no time, at least to you. But the universe would age during your instantaneous trip, so it'd be useless if you ever wanted to contact anyone else ever again.

However, if you were to accelerate to close to the speed of light, time for you would slow as you traveled and extensive distance was covered. Then if you could traverse the light speed barrier, you could continue traveling, going faster the less energy you expended, going backward in time. Once you reached your destination, simply do the same thing in reverse and you would be back in normal time and space, having instantly traversed a massive distance in zero time. Rather than the "Star Trek" warp drive of the Alcubiere method, you'd have the FTL drive from "Battlestar Galactica", jumping instantaneously across many light years of space.

Thoughts on this:

[physics-astronomy.org]

By the way, this has been debunked, even by the people that initially reported it. But FTL COULD happen at some point.

The pedestrian responses to this post are an example of why I was sadly mistaken when I assumed that atheists were more intelligent than the general public. Alas.

Being an atheist is a matter of non-belief. Otherwise we are just normal human beings. I like science and do a lot of research on but I do have my biases. I was a math major and I think that opens up some interesting thinking paths. I also like history and try to get different views since history is always written after the event and often by the victors if a conflict was involved.

Unless you've secretly invented your very own FTL drive, don't be a jerk about it.

@Paul4747 My aspiration is not to invent a FTL drive, but a filter that blocks those whose IQ is less than 130. But then, I would not be able to see your posts anymore, now would I?

I can't even go faster than dark.

It is possible! Muhammed Ali did it. He said when he turns out the light, he's in bed before the room gets dark!

smoyle Level 6 July 29, 2018

It would be cool if you figure that out.

👍

weeman Level 7 July 29, 2018

It’s just a postulate by Einstein. U can’t use equations derived from the premise that maximal speed is 3E8 to prove that maximal speed is that...it’s curcular logic. Special relativity is in the rage now, and a new paradigm shift will instill a new one, that’s the way of science that based on induction.

Ole Rømer first demonstrated in 1676 that light travels at a finite speed (as opposed to instantaneously) by studying the apparent motion of Jupiter's moon Io.

@magicwatch and how does that work? U can measure the speed of something as finite but how can u measure that something cannot go faster then it does?

@burlavv it is impossible for information or energy to travel faster than c. One argument for this follows from the counter-intuitive implication of special relativity known as the relativity of simultaneity. If the spatial distance between two events A and B is greater than the time interval between them multiplied by c then there are frames of reference in which A precedes B, others in which B precedes A, and others in which they are simultaneous. As a result, if something were travelling faster than c relative to an inertial frame of reference, it would be travelling backwards in time relative to another frame, and causality would be violated.In such a frame of reference, an "effect" could be observed before its "cause". Such a violation of causality has never been recorded, and would lead to paradoxes such as the tachyonic antitelephone.

I hate it when people tell me what I can and can't do

We do when mediate

I believe our brains can send signals faster than the speed of light. (Only a theory) based off the string theory

it is impossible for information or energy to travel faster than c. One argument for this follows from the counter-intuitive implication of special relativity known as the relativity of simultaneity. If the spatial distance between two events A and B is greater than the time interval between them multiplied by c then there are frames of reference in which A precedes B, others in which B precedes A, and others in which they are simultaneous. As a result, if something were travelling faster than c relative to an inertial frame of reference, it would be travelling backwards in time relative to another frame, and causality would be violated.In such a frame of reference, an "effect" could be observed before its "cause". Such a violation of causality has never been recorded, and would lead to paradoxes such as the tachyonic antitelephone.

According to my girlfriend I can but in the opposite direction. ?

Because I'm getting old.

I just wish scientists would say, we can't go faster than the speed of light, from what we know now and from what we can speculate at the present time. As science expands, who knows what we might discover. I also humbly suggest that the speed of light isn't the real question. To me the question is: might it ever be possible to travel the universe? Speed of light is a means to an end, not the end itself. Who knows, there might be wormholes and other things that might exist. Very likely the dream of travelling to the stars will never happen. We'll probably destroy ourselves or our planet in any case before getting that advanced. But maybe some species out there in the cosmos have done it, and the speed of light didn't stop them.

Absolutely right, who cares about the speed of light if there's another way.

Maybe we can just slow down light.

I am not familiar with this scientist or his credentials. Neil deGrasse Tyson has stated that we cannot travel faster than light. He is a Star Trek fan and does speculate about the possibility of breaking that barrier but it just speculation.

Interesting.

My kind of YouTube video. ? ?

Much missing from this explanation. IE The why, what is it that keeps us at the speed of light when standing still. In what way are you still traveling at the speed of light. Every atom contains the speed of light in the spin of it's electrons around the nucleus the faster through space the nucleus travels the longer it takes electrons to circumvent the nucleus. If the nucleus reaches the speed of light electrons can no longer go around. Your time has stopped. So the explanation covered how it would appear but not the true workings.

Savage Level 7 July 29, 2018

I think the idea of electrons orbiting the nucleus is outdated. One problem is that a moving electric field produces a magnetic field, which isn't what happens. There are others. As far as I can tell, electrons are best considered as standing wave 'fields' which can be collapsed in a quantum-dynamic fashion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:142475
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.