Agnostic.com

26 2

Do you often use profanity?

In everyday conversation, at work, or at the mall, or at home with the fam?

Personally, I use "fuck" like punctuation in the steel shop where I work, but don't swear much anywhere else.

• 2 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 38 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 4 votes
  • 6 votes
JustKip 7 July 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments (26 - 26)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, it is not necessary to do that. It normalizes bad language and we don't need any more "bad" stuff in this world.

@maturin1919 What you don't know.

@maturin1919 Yes.

@maturin1919 "irregardles" is a bad word. It drives me fucking crazy.

@JimG Well you will have to do something about it, won't you.

@maturin1919 Intent, that is what makes a word good, or bad, the intention of the person speaking.

Normalize a word and it isn't bad anymore. When I was a kid my mum would scream at me if I said "bloody" or "what the hell" etc. I never understood the problem and still don't.
Interesting sidenote though. When I was maybe 4 yrs old and testing the boundaries having learnt a few words, my dad had a great idea and warned me whatever happens, never ever say the really really bad word "washbasin". So I uses to sneak downstairs when they had posh friends over for a drink, pop my head round the door, shout the bad word and run like the clappers ?

@maturin1919 that is basically what I taught my kids. I also insisted that they know the definition of the word, so they could use it correctly.

I took the mystery out of the words, made them less shocking.

@maturin1919 I did, and I am surprised that you are asking. Well here it goes. The question was, Do you often use profanities, and I don't I don't like them, I don't use them. What is the point in talking to someone if every second word is a profanity (bad word), it takes away the joy of conversation, gets in the way of and makes the communication unimportant if someone has to swear all the time. In my eyes I lose respect for people who has to do it all the time.

@Salo A swearword is still swearword, and the problem is just that, you normalise it.

@Jolanta a swearword is a word that somebody(s) in the past decided that according to the ethical standards of the time was bad/impolite/harmful/blasphemous/disrespectful etc. Whether those labels/attitudes still apply to the word in question is always debatable and we all have to choose where we draw a line. There are words I won't use, in the main ones which convey an abusive, harmful or degrading attitude or opinion (think racist/sexist), but a word that's bad just because it's bad? It's a nonsensical outdated concept with quasi-religious undertones and I'm not buying any of it.

@Salo ok, you're saying that because it is "outdated ". It is now ok to use swear words. That is exactly how we are normalising the issue. Is is so difficult not to swear?

@Jolanta there's nothing to worry about normalising. Some people say we can't eat meat on a Friday (or some food related nonsense along those lines I forget the details). If I say that's outdated, illogical or irrelevant and go get a steak would you criticise me for assisting in the normalisation of something that should be frowned upon and avoided? I can't see a difference. No it's not difficult not to swear. It's not difficult to just have fish on a Friday either. Let's just go along with it and perpetuate the stupidity then.

@Salo There are things in this world that should be left alone

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:142507
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.