Agnostic.com

5 3

"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud"
--Coco Chanel

How do you think for yourself? How hard do you work to hang on to your own perspective? How do you walk the line between being open-minded and letting others influence you in ways that are not good for you?

chicagojcb 7 Jan 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

obviously, i have to fit into this society but I do my own thing as much as possible. my tattoo is quite a statement now and I've had it over 20 years.so is my planter and my fence. fuck being a sheep.

I have a tendency to test my thinking out through conversation. Sort of objectifying my thought processes. It works for me.

When I was in my teens I was extremely naive-not streetwise in the least, when I left my dysfunctional home in high school. I was anxious to be accepted by my new social circle. I didn't judge people who came from different backgrounds than me, spoke another language, dressed differently, and had different social values. I was influenced by others but when I was approached by someone I saw as a father figure I knew something was wrong with this picture. I got those street smarts over time.

So you did have some basic boundaries. Good for you!

The following Wikipedia page contains a lot of pertinent information
[en.m.wikipedia.org]

@chicagojcb
When you realise that you are outside of the Bell curve it requires a lot of fortitude.
There have been many experiments proving how people are led to conform because of peer pressure even though that peer pressure is erroneous information or lies.
There is an interesting article on talking to yourself at [elitedaily.com]
And of course the lead character in the play and film "Shirley Valentine" was exceptional at talking to walls and seashore rocks.
I used to ask my imaginary parrot on my shoulder to listen whilst I argued higher (non routine) courses of action at work. Now I mainly do it silently apart from in performance practice.
"The whole worlds gone mad apart from me and thee, and I'm not to sure about thee!" - old Yorkshire saying?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14308
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.