Agnostic.com

4 1

How do words affect you?

I find words don't affect me as much as intent does. If someone walks up to me and says Paul your fat. Most people get offended by that but most of the time I don't. I'm 5'11" and 200 lbs. So I'm fat by societal norms. If the person was describing me to someone else saying Paul is the fat guy in the red shirt, I'm not offend by that. If a woman says Paul you're fat but you would look better if you lost 15 lbs I'm not offend. I don't get hurt unless the intent was to hurt me. Like a group of people giggling look how fat Paul is as they point me out. It's not the fat portion that offends me it's their intent to poke fun at me that does. Is that not normal?

paul1967 8 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Mocking someone can be fun if you are friends and they know your intent. It is true, the same words would not be accepted from a stranger or if used in a hurtful way. It is not always the word, it is how it used ans who uses it.

I love to mock, but you have to know your audience.

I agree with you. If a person with positive intent says some silly words, I wouldn't mind. But I rarely feel offended these days. By the way, 5'11" and 200 lbs is not overweight, just about average.

That's very kind of you to say, 200lbs is where I am now, down from 270 but even at 200 I'm uncomfortable physically. I've been athletic most of my life, and I don't like feeling unhealthy. I've never weighed this much in my life. I think the added weight is related to depression, from my separation and pending divorce. I plan on getting myself back down to 175, but until then, this is who I am, and I'm not embarrassed by it or ashamed of it. I'm me, the same me, regardless of my weight.

O Captain, my captain! Dead Poets Society has so many quotable scenes that make me fall in love with words. I may not be as articulate but I can interpret others and have fallen in love with carefully thought out and eloquent words written just for me. I wish we were able to post memes or screen shots here as I am best able to express myself thru others

I think you should post your desire to the administrator that we should have a "wall" where we can post memes and photos. I think that's a great idea. I also want to add that you do an excellent job presenting ideas with clarity and you compose your thoughts with exceptional talent. Your ability to articulate your position in a discussion is in no way lacking. I think people who read your post would agree that you're a very skilled composer of the written word.

Paul1967 those kind of compliments mean so much to me. Thank you!

in all sorts of ways, but it depends whos saying it. i think its normal to not be bothered by people saying things about you that youre not insecure about

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1432
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.