Agnostic.com

3 2

LINK Nautilus | Science Connected

Unconscious thought

helionoftroy 7 July 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’ve long felt that our brains performed unattended processing, even during sleep. How many times have we gone to bed thinking about a problem, and awakened with an unexpectedly good idea … often while take a shower? I disagree with the author when comparing recall to creative thought, such as Poincare, Hindemith or Einstein. Arriving at a solution for a difficult equation, composing the incredible Mathis Der Maler Symphony, or originating the Theory of General Relativity are in no way comparable to attempting to recall food items or country names! In my experience, my best ideas have come not when intensely concentrating on a problem, rather, it has been during periods when I’ve allowed my mind to wander and day dream. My mind finds answers without my assistance.

Very interesting. I am not sure I buy that there are no unconscious aspects to our awareness though. We may be prone to over-attribute "flashes of insight" to an overly elaborate unconscious process, but the autonomic nervous system is evidence that there are in fact "background" neurologically mediated processes (pumping blood, digesting food, storing and releasing energy) that don't require or even submit to conscious control, and some that are hybrid (breathing, walking). Since we know there are background processes, it is not a stretch to suppose that some aspects of rumination can carry on without us consciously attending to them.

We all are also aware of the value of backing off from thinking hard about / struggling with some problem, and coming back to it later. I'd bet that the reason that works is often, as the author suggests, that it just makes it easier for us to see the problem in a new light -- but also that at times, it's a bit more than just a new angle, and has benefited, at the least, from our brain plasticity reorganizing and optimizing our thought processes around this particular problem.

But this article is a cautionary tale that we perhaps should not attribute too much to the unconscious.

Great insight! Thank you!

Really interesting article..very much enjoyed that thanks.

You’re welcome

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:143503
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.