Agnostic.com

29 6

Best Advice on the "Meaning of Life"?

I'd love to know what this community thinks is the best or most useful wisdom they've ever received on life and how to make or find meaning in it.

RoadGoddess 7 Jan 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments (26 - 29)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Things are not always as they seem.

There are thinks that nobody can accomplish but you. Just do it. If you don't have any special skills, plant a tree, do good and be kind. Don't expect any profit from your kindness.

There is no meaning to life, life is the meaning.

To believe your life has a purpose or has meaning sounds great but then it'll either feel like you're not meeting your purpose or that you're just here to fulfill a task and nothing you actually do changes that.

When life is its own meaning you may realize that only you define your life, you may base it off criticisms or ideologies but that's still you defining it, everything you do is part of the meaning of life.

I'll be the 194th person to respond that I don't think life has any meaning. It's just DNA (chemicals) fighting for survival and driving us to delicious pseudo-procreative acts.

Nevertheless, for better or worse we're here, so what do we do with it? We can take the FU Society route and take as much as we can for ourselves and screw everyone else (I used to call this the dog-pack society, but that's actually an insult to dogs as they actually do care about each other), or we can try to make society as beneficial for all as we can. As a hedonist, I believe we should try to build a foundation to society to minimize pain (homelessness, hunger, disease, war) in order to provide a hedonistic capability for everyone. As my godfather told me at my confirmation "Wherever you go and whatever you do, the important thing is to be able to look at yourself in the shaving mirror every morning."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14388
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.