Agnostic.com

8 2

LINK The Humanist Dilemma: Does Becoming a Parent Mean a Closeted Atheist Has to Grow Up? - TheHumanist.com

I have a friend who found it easier to tell his wife, five children, and minister parents (he himself had been a minister) that he was gay than it was to tell them he was an atheist. And although everyone accepted his sexual preference, on her death bed his ex-wife was still begging him to get back with Jesus before it was eternally too late.

zblaze 7 July 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I told my children there was no god. I gave them every opportunity to explore religious belief that they asked for, and then constantly compared what they were being told to other religions, showing them how all of it was equally mythological. I raised my children to be atheist, not to "decide on their own", because to me that would be like letting them "decide on their own" if meth was bad or not.

Good for you! When my step kids were young (they're adults now), I made clear that I've never seen any evidence of deity(-ies), base my life on observation and evidence--and they've heard me many times raise fallacies and weaknesses of religions. So I guess pretty close to what you did. The religions comparative analysis you did with them is great!

I see your "meth" analogy a bit differently; that is, with meth there is tons of evidence that show clearly why it's dangerous stuff. In contrast, religions are evidence-less. In fact, that's their hallmark: You must suspend critical thinking and open inquiry, in exchange for believing what you're told: In other words, "faith".

Here's a bit of defense / fun for your kids: If they're in school, it's inevitable that if and when their peers find out they're atheist, they will be told "You're an atheist? Then you don't believe in ANYTHING!"

A comeback I taught my kids is "That's absurd! Of course I have beliefs! For example, I believe that you're a good person [if applicable], that there will be a sunrise here tomorrow, and that human beings naturally try to do good."

The "fun"? If a boy asserts to your kid(s) that they "don't believe in anything", your kid can say "...and I believe that you're a girl dressed in boy's clothes. If you care to prove me wrong, I'll reconsider my belief based on evidence!"

I'll end here with this fun fact:

We are all BORN atheists. And we remain that way until we have ability to communicate and can understand what the heck the whole idea of a "god" even is!

Three cheers for successfully coming out as gay with minister parents and jesus-deluded wife!

I always think we have our own life to live - I don't live for anybody else but myself I will change my values if I find them unworthy I will not change my values to fit in with anybody elses system that way lies madness. I own my self . Nobody else. Once by partner was walking accross a narrow concrete path between two seas I begged him to come down and he said "I am not bound by your fears!" I have always remembered that and have since then always dealt with my own fears

I've told my kids the same thing my mother told me when she asked about religion: nobody else's beliefs matter, you decide what you believe. When she pressed asking what I believed in, I told her I believe in scientific process, humanity, and the next generation, her. I told her other people will try to indoctrinate her, she should always try to decide what makes the most sense.

A quote from Matt comes to mind. "I want to believe in as many True things, and as few False things as possible." -Matt Dilahunty

I think the advise from the Link was pretty good. Pretending to be Christian would be bad for the child in so many ways.

Dietl Level 7 July 31, 2018

It’s a great topic and a serious consideration. Surely the first duty of a parent would be to provide their children with the tools to survive in the world. But their personal philosophical and political development has to be respected as a reflection of their insights. I would hope a parent should look beyond the spiritual affiliation though.

The delusional are dangerous AF.
They cannot be reasoned with.

Sorry, got distracted.

Kids should be raised with honesty. That means no myths.
No delusions. No lies.

thats sad

weeman Level 7 July 30, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:143945
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.