Agnostic.com

5 7

LINK Artificial Intelligence Shows Why Atheism Is Unpopular - The Atlantic

Using a separate model, Future of Religion and Secular Transitions (FOREST), the team found that people tend to secularize when four factors are present: existential security (you have enough money and food), personal freedom (you’re free to choose whether to believe or not), pluralism (you have a welcoming attitude to diversity), and education (you’ve got some training in the sciences and humanities). If even one of these factors is absent, the whole secularization process slows down. This, they believe, is why the U.S. is secularizing at a slower rate than Western and Northern Europe.

zblaze 7 July 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It makes perfect sense to me.

Makes sense. Neither pluralism nor education in the humanities is popular in the US.

How is this accurate though? There are plenty of religious people who have all 4 factors present. There are secular people who don't have all 4 factors present etc. Why do they assume it's these 4 factors that lead to secularization instead of something else?

of those 'religious people' who have all four factors - just how religious are they really? And, how many wear that mask just for profit?

@DerekD I know people who are religious. They go to church every week, etc. They don't make money off of it either. They have all 4 of those factors too. I know that's anecdotal, but I think it's safe to assume other religious people are like that. I mean you have actual scientists who are religious. Also, what about the secular people that don't have all those factors? I just don't see how accurate this is.

@Piece2YourPuzzle don't judge a book by it's cover... Many atheist/agnostic people are still in the closet, because they are afraid of what may happen when they come out.

Remember, this group [clergyproject.org] exists for a reason.

@camne I'm doing the exact opposite of judging a book by it's cover.

That surprisingly makes sense, thanks for sharing.

That was a really good read. Thanks for sharing it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:144584
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.