Agnostic.com

11 8

Artificial versus Natural: is there a difference?

Partially a linguistics 'problem' but I feel it shows how we identify with our surroundings.

It's easy to say man made materials are artificial, but why doesn't this apply to say honey, birds nests or beaver damns?

I make the assumption here that humans are not separate from the natural world, just as we assert bees, birds and beavers are part of nature, so is mankind.

Is what mankind creates natural, or is anything that is made by any entity artificial?

DreadlySmart 5 Jan 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If you’ve ever dated someone who had breast augmentation surgery, you’d understand the difference. Natural is better by far!
(Sorry for the dumb joke, but I couldn’t resist)

I think it all comes from man wanting to see himself as special, and trying to set himself apart from the rest of nature. I have often said that the city of Dallas is just as much a natural formation as a beaver dam. I guess we need a distinction between man made and not man made for reasons of communication. But we need to always be aware that we are part of nature. Arrogance grows without it.

i used to have a friend who tried everything Dr Oz, Sally Jessy Raphael, etc had on.....her favorite comment was, "oh, it's natural" ........okay, so is asbestos, lead, arsenic, heroine, cocaine, uranium, etc etc etc. Just because it's naturel doesn' mean it is good for you!

If what humans do is “unnatural”, does that make us supernatural? Do we think we are special? We just have to be careful not to kill ourselves and everyone around us when we happen to create a new disease that humans never got resistance to. I actively search for food not labeled as organic or natural unless I like the other version, natural peanut butter is really good, just tough to stir and different consistency. And bananas are bananas, might be grown minutely different but it’s all organic matter.

I would have philosophically agreed with you but someone went and invented artificial ice cream; now all bets are off.

everything came from our universe so everything must be natural. things should be called man designed and not man-made.

You have gift. I have made that argument about GMO's.

Something else with certain GMO's that people neglect is that it includes anything engineered by man.

Take the tomato on your burger, even an 'organic' tomato is actually a GMO. Through years of selective breeding and agricultural engineering the cherry tomato, which is as close to non-GMO as it can be, became this mutated conjoined quadruplet we now know as a tomato.

I would like to see a caveat to GMO - genetically inserting herbicide, pesticide, etc. resistance into a food product is wrong. I see nothing wrong with genentically inserting the gene from blueberries that make blueberries blue into a tomatoe to enhanse the cyanocides that are known cancer inhibitors. There are positive health benefits and there are negative health benefits. Round-up ready corn, canola is not good for humans or animals. Almost all countries outside of the U.S. ban it. Japan will not import and round up ready hay or alfalpha. Just my opinion

Every creature is behaving according to its nature, so everything we do is 100% natural. Unnatural is just as great a fallacy as supernatural; just in the opposite direction.

skado Level 9 Jan 12, 2018

I've thought about this a lot as well. Unfortunately I think the distinction matters more and more now that ideas like organic eating etc. are heavily in the public eye; people want to feel like what they're eating is natural, "chemical free" but probably don't understand the distinction themselves.

In some areas like biodiversity, and geography, beaver dams and bee nests are considered unnatural as they are the results of conscious intervention rather than random events or physiological evolution. I quite like that, it sets a clear boundary and also reminds us that manufactured doesn't automatically mean bad. As a side note, following a complaint to OFCOM I managed to get the use of the phrase "chemical free" banned from TV advertising of steam mops!

I have often pondered the term Organic Chemistry.

@Leutrelle, Organic in organic chemistry is to differentiate molecules containing carbon atoms and those that do not(why choose 'organic'? idk), I only had a semester of it but the reactions are of organic compounds differ from those of inorganic compounds that are almost identical in structure, the typical comparison is molecules with silicon because it binds the same number of times as carbon.

FYI because someone may ask it, diamonds are not organic because they're pure carbon and not molecules with carbon, even with impurities there is no molecule it's just two substances integrated.

@zeliasgrand , that's one of mine as well. The whole gluten fad has gotten out of hand.

@zeliasgrand My sister has that celiac disease. For awhile she thought everyone she had a gluten allergy. It drove me nuts for a while. I think became marketing ploy

@DreadlySmart You got to schooled me again. Well done!

You just made my philosophical brain explode! I would comment more but there is grey matter to clean off the ceiling.

He defiantly can make you think.

@Leutrelle what really irritates me is now I will be compelled to study the issue....more work....

@DavidLaDeau He does that I love it. He lives up to his name🙂

Good one and it's definitely a matter to be pondered. The question here is, are the rest of animals changing anything that's in the nature? As for the honey bees, honey making is a natural process. Nectar collected from flowers get stored in the stomach of bee passed to other bees in hive through mouth, who then chew it and then pass it on to other bees through mouth, the process continue till it becomes honey. It's stored in honeycomb made of wax. It's there food. Whatever left is what we take. We don't call our food artificial.

Yet. We don't have food people consider artificial yet, but we can print organs and other bio-matter. If I printed out a chicken leg in all it's meatiness would you consider it artificial?

@DreadlySmart whats the raw material you going to use

@Srijith, atoms that I'll build into the proteins that make up the meat. I need to get a list of all the atoms that are in all the proteins but who knows, I may be able to turn water and a chunk of rock with carbon, phosphorous, nitrogen and whatever else is present into a chicken leg.

Or I could clone the chicken leg, is a cloned chicken leg artificial?

@DreadlySmart cloned to me can not be called artificial. But, out of curiosity, can you clone just a chicken leg. The other one definitely is artificial or engineered or manufactured but definitely not natural.

@Srijith, clones are just grown from undifferentiated cells, if you control the differentiation and limit it to a chicken's leg then that's what you'll get. Granted this doesn't exist yet but it could and I know people have seriously considered 'meat farms' where the meat is grown separate from a living creature so nothing is slaughtered and presumably the waste product of typical livestock is almost entirely eliminated.

@DreadlySmart but basically it's a natural cell multiplication.

@Srijith, but "artificially" induced by mankind, which is why I'm trying to determine the line of artificial man-made versus natural man-made if there is one. I feel anything man-made still counts as natural.

@DreadlySmart it's like this sugar is processed by man but still is natural. However sweetener created by men is called artificial sweetener. The literal meaning of natural is one not created by man.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14507
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.