Agnostic.com

9 2

23 and Me, Ancestry DNA Services

So i did a post a wile back asking if people knew they Ancestry. I thought i would post an interesting article i ran across.

IF YOU HAVE USED A DNA SERVICE IN THE PAST PLEASE READ THIS ARTICLE!

[cbsnews.com]

#DNA
twshield 8 Aug 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I did both of the big ones recently. So far I have only gotten one back. Turns out I’m 33% Irish, and basically a mutt. I thought we were more German.

I signed all of the consent forms. I am supportive of any kind of discoveries made by science this way.

I truly do not have a concern about my DNA and strict privt. I am just one of 7 billion humans out there and I’ve got nothing to hide.

The person quoted who said that you can take somebody’s DNA from a coffee cup and send it in to be analyzed is mistaken. As most people know, it takes about a teaspoon or so of saliva to submit the kit.

Getting too much junk mail and the newspaper in my driveway every week that I never read is higher on my list of of “problems.” 🙂

*privacy - Cannot edit on app.

I've used Ancestry. The results were interesting and reaffirming of some hunches. Not sorry.

Getting this done sounds like a real "white person" thing to do. Facebook taught me to not trust anyone with information.

How so?

@BlueWave Well, it is an oversimplification. They are not practical. It seems one would have to make extra income and perhaps have some vanity about their past. I would guess some people are purely interested, but I did my genealogy another way some time ago. Birth certificates and Ellis Island and boat logs. I am an English /Latvian mutt. I think I would likely be more likely to use it as a screening tool for sicknesses that are avoidable. But I still would not want to risk other members of my family getting turned down for insurance if security is breached.

@BlueWave I should have wrote that differently. I think the joke is "first world problem". But even in the U.S.A., something like being disabled can change your problem from "Where is my package from Amazon" to "where am I going to find food to the rest of the month. It was an insensitive joke.

I can't believe people actually willingly use these "services".

Why?

@BlueWave [thinkprogress.org]

@BlueWave and [scientificamerican.com]

I think Transparency is the key here..and also who has access to the Data...

If it's the police tracking your wayward cousin who may be a serial killer that might strike again...well I'm fine with that.

But if employers ever get their hands on DNA data..now that would be a complete game changer.

Employers will filter for Cancer..heart disease..diabetes..obesity..the list is endless!

However that just won't be permitted..we hope..

I agree.

I honestly don't care about race.

I read the article but it just didn't give me a lot of information. I tried playing the videos but all I get are ads, one after the other. Maybe I'll try later.

gearl Level 8 Aug 2, 2018

Hummm . My brother sent in his DNA to one of these companies , a decade of so ago . The information he got back at that time , seemed insignifigent . Kind of a general - your ancestors came mostly from here and somewhat from there .

Crazy but true article on DNA testing for no other reason than to find out about your DNA. I don't know my real father and by now he would be dust. Born in St. Louis and a typical white man, I know enough to know that nobody is "white." Everyone has a mixture and no race is "pure." The white supremacists must be thinking of breeding dogs, cattle, and horses when they come up with their nonsense. It would be nice to know that I am some much percent this or that, but who cares? What difference would it make? Also, I don't want to give anyone a chance to "plant" my DNA for any reason.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:146601
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.