Agnostic.com

3 5

When someone asks me why I choose to not believe in a god or gods my reply is that it is not a choice. It is mearly a conclusion based on experience and knowledge. They tell me that it is a choice and that something bad happened to me to make me give up believing and that deep down I know that there is a god and my anger will subside and I will come around. So, I ask them if it is a choice, then I challenge them to not believe for 5 minutes. They always, 100% of the time, get huffy and say no, I am not doing that, I am not choosing to not believe. I ask them why and they say because they don't want to do that. I reply, it's not that you don't want to, it is because you can't, because it isn't a choice. Then they change the subject, always, this is how the conversation goes.

Gringo6 4 Jan 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yah it gets annoying. "You poor soul, what terrible thing happened to you?" said with an attitude of moral superiority.

I've tried choosing to believe this or that, and it never worked. I either believe it or I don't.

My beliefs have changed, but not because I willed it so. Something in me shifted of its own accord. I was never able to cause a shift just because I wanted to.

If other people can do that, well... It's not for me to say. But I can sure suspect that what they are calling a "belief" is something I would describe as a "position".

I get annoyed by this as well. Even on this site, there are tons of users that think you can choose what you believe. You'd think "freethinkers" would be able to recognize this, but a lot can't.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14778
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.