Agnostic.com

4 1

Atheism Definition

I was curious how many others here subscribe to what I find to be the most accurate definition of atheism, I.e., One who rejects the presupposition that a god or gods exist based on the complete lack of evidence to the contrary.
Too many people seem to believe atheism is a way of life, or complete rejection of a god. But, to me, being intellectually honest is important. And I can no more claim that no god exists than I can claim a flying teapot isn't floating around Jupiter or proving a negative.
That is to say, I can be correct in claiming certain aspects of the Abrahamic God and surrounding stories are fallacious. But, that doesn't mean I can prove no god exists.
Thus, I'm an agnostic atheist only in that sense, but call myself an atheist. In other words, I have not the hubris to claim with absolute certainty that no god exists. Certainly one is not required, but requirement is not requisite for existence.

Cyberiad 3 Jan 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am atheist. I don't claim no gods exist - I just don't happen to have one or want one; life is enough for me.

Yeah, same here

Agnostic Atheist just go hand in hand.. Stating that you don't believe in a presupposition, to me, doesn't mean you totally reject the possibility of it.. but that's just me..

I have previously answered similar questions elsewhere, but to put it in a nutshell, I am an agnostic atheist.

Atheist because I see no evidence that the claims of theists are true and have found no evidence that a god does or could exist.

Agnostic because I do not know that a god cannot exist in any form in any universe.

But until there is any credible evidence that a god exists then I do not believe.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14829
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.