Agnostic.com

11 1

Will science be our saviour or are we over confident?

atheist 8 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If you're talking about being our saviour from religion, I think having a strong scientific influence in our society will make a measurable impact on how religious we are as a nation. If you're asking will science save us from destroying ourselves, I don't think anyone will know until it happens or doesn't happen. As it stands right now, as optimistic as I try to be, I can only say it doesn't look good. Especially with climate deniers running our country and people who will sell the good of our future for the good of the now.

Foresight we have, we have the foresight to know fracking causes issues with our water supply, we have the foresight to know dumping toxic waste into our atmosphere and oceans has serious long term ramifications. But the question becomes are we going to stop. So far the answer is no.

Lets put it this way, if an asteroid was screaming toward Earth, I would have more confidence in a science based plan (say like actually doing something to try and save the planet) than I would in a plan that required people to get on their knees and pray. Science would save us long before religion would.

I think science will save us but we are a little over confident. But then again we have science deniers running rampant out there so who knows.

I think it was "God" who gave us dominion over the earth, and science that has been trying to enlighten us to the fact that we are just one more species competeing for survival. The fact that the god given dominion thinkers have used the gifts of science to compete more has just hastened the time when we out run our resources. As for being our saviour, I seriously doubt that we can be "saved" from ourselves.

No, I don't think we can be saved unless we change in some drastic way.

SamL Level 7 Oct 15, 2017

what is it saving us from

im not afraid of myself tho

science needs a society to support it.
If society remains intact then science will continue to hold possibilities but if society breaks down then science will fail. Our future lies in our ability (or lack of ) to work together.

Science has the power to be our 'savior' if and only if we can convince people to accept the process. I don't like being negative, but the picture is bleak.

As I said, atheist, the picture is bleak. On the other hand, that is not a reason to not try. You know the old saw: He who does nothing deserves whatever he gets.

I agree with evidentialist - well said. Science will work if we can get over ourselves and our egos. People have to accept the process and want constructive change, not just to hold onto power or stick their heads in the sand and pretend nothing is happening.

considering that the earth has only about 800 million years left as a life supporting planet (or at least life as we would recognise it now) then without science and technology we are doomed. can science save us, yes, will science save us, probably not, we're a fairly stupid species who constantly ignore facts in favour of our own preconceptions an biases.

The scientific method has salvatory efficacy, but that attribute depends on scientists being true to the method.

What do you mean by savior? Savior from what?

Science, yes! If it's not too late! The more people understand their effects on the world, the more we can change things around. I've seen religion make people desensitized to the world's problems. It promises heaven, paradise or a future where "good" humans won't have to answer for the way earth is being ruined. That way they don't have to be all too concerned with the direction we are headed as long as "God" will save them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1484
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.