Agnostic.com

4 1

Dennis Preger’s Dog Story and Non-Theist Morals
2012, Hurricane Sandy, the lower Manhattan blackout. The only reliable radio station we could pick up was 570 “The Answer.” That’s where I first heard Denis Preger. I used to listen to him for a couple of years because I thought it was hysterical for a Jewish guy to be shilling for something called “Judeo-Christian values” on a Christian-owned radio network. (I keep hearing the term but I never had a good explanation of what that was). Eventually I gave up listening. He had appropriated some material without proper attribution, I was once in queue to be a listener caller, challenging something he said, and was then mysteriously cut off. I had sent a paper to “Preger University” for their opinion, accompanied by a donation check; he never reviewed what I sent, which is fine, but he cashed the check and never sent a thank you. Basically, Preger is in it for Preger.
Anyway, every once in a while, he would trot out the Dog Story. It goes like this: You have a dog you really love. The dog drowning. There is a human being you don’t know, also drowning. Who do you save, the dog you love or the perfect stranger? Preger’s answer is, you save the human. But the reason is that the human is “made in the image of God.” This reasoning is just not acceptable for a plethora of reasons, even though, in most cases, most people would save the human.
So one day, it came over the wire that a husband and wife and their dog were in a boating accident, and the husband just happened to be a world-class expert in sea rescue. He saved the dog first and then went back for the wife. When asked about that by the reporter, the woman said that her husband knew what he was doing, that everyone was alive, and nobody might be alive if he had done th rescue the other way around. And Preger, without reference to the news flash, told the Dog Story again. That was the last time I listened to him.
So. Some wolves and some people co-evolved into “people and dogs.” Without reference to divine images, what do we owe to dogs for all they have given us?

andygee 7 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Undoubtedly if reversed the dog would save everyone as many instances in the news and in history attest that a dog saved everyone it could until it either died or was unable. Dogs have proved their worth many times over and continue to show their gratitude. People on the other hand will spit on you for saving them or not saving them in the way they deem most appropriate and not feel grateful. We as a species pose a huge dilemma raising questions of worth. I find it hugely distressing.

SamL Level 7 Oct 15, 2017

Thanks for pointing this out. Shame on me for neglecting the contrapositive! Especially since we have observed our dog, Nora Mae, cheerfully pitting all 17 pounds of herself between us and what she perceives as danger.

First let me get this off my chest; regards of what anyone says god spelt backwards is always dog. Dogs were likely the first animal ever domesticated, other than chickens. They have guarded our homes and families, helped us hunt, carried our loads, fended off predators and were the key to the domestication of our livestock. They do all this for nothing more than for love of their pack, a pack that has us as its leaders.

I use dogs to this day for herding livestock and protecting my property I owe them a lot more than food and a pat on the head. Without them I would not be able to do what I do. I would choose my dogs over many people I have met.

My dogs have a home for life, good healthcare and my respect.

If both Preger and one of my dogs were drowning I know who I would save and who I would hand a concrete life preserver.

Prager is a real good jew..married three times. But he loves to ridicule non-believers (of the Judeo-Christian beliefs.) I listen to him because it's the ONLY radio station I can receive. I still believe he's a piece of shit, but listen because of the comedy value.

His sins are many. The next to the last straw for me with him is that he objected to California mandating 3 feet of clearance before passing a bicycle. I mean, WTF.

i'd probably save my dog....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1496
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.