Agnostic.com

8 3

LINK Church's for Atheists

Just spotted this on FB. It is from the Humanists and apparently there are others across the country.

JackPedigo 9 Aug 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why call it church. Isn't this site a gathering place? We are after all herd animals to a certain degree. I suppose if it were convenient a weekly get together, nah on second thought a monthly get together would be fun.

sounds fine their mission statement is clear and concise prev sermons and posts seem like they should appeal across the board to critical thinkers and many studies have high lighted the positive effects of going to a place where you feel welcomed and part of a community i have to say though the humanist soc in edin has a much better meeting place being a pub

But why to call it church? Suspicious.

I agree. Maybe they are trying to get the newly de-converted.

@JackPedigo May be in the still fenced minds of many new Atheists there is not other way to socialize than to be in a church-like setting.
How about community centers...or getting together once/month to share time...I used to get together with two Atheists groups.

@DUCHESSA The group "The Brights" started out with social meetings. Unfortunately, the Libertarians threw a monkey wrench in the deal.

@JackPedigo Why to sabotage them?

@DUCHESSA No it didn't seem so. Being an atheist was the one thing they had in common but the ultra conservatism was too much for the more progressive to bear. Often not believing in any gods is the only thing many have in common.

Church is definitely not for atheists.

JimG Level 8 Aug 7, 2018

Church implies Christianity and also a belief system. I know many have a church setup for community and Jerry DeWitt is one of these. He has lots of members in Louisiana but I do not need the community myself. Maybe a discussion rally sometimes. The last thing I need is being told atheism is a belief system and they can prove it. No, no, no. It's very simple. I do not believe in gods.

I agree with you, anything as organised as this sounds is not for me.

Maybe we should ask them. They probably are getting a lot of comments about this.

I don't like it. Church implies Christian, you can't have an atheist church. Second, they pass a talking unicorn. What kind of new age-y bullshit goes on here? Oh, let's look at the sermons. The case for reparations? Atheist curse words?!

We have to stop trying to add to the definition of atheist. It's harmful to the growth of non-believers. People should know it's not a religion. It's not a social movement. There is no set of beliefs.

This kind of thing just confuses that.

If I go to church it is a Unitarian which welcomes atheists with open arms. They have always been very warm and many of my friends have come from this church.

Right on, All are welcome and there is NO dogma or anything to believe in. Some have ministers who do sermonize but about general things, not a religious belief. Some, like mine are lay led having talks about things of general interest. I have led 5 talks from astronomy to my adoption story.

@starwatcher-al I gave a lecture on being an atheist. and the vietnam war

@CrazyQuilter Sorry, but this may suit some others but it just sounds like religion by the back door to me.

I used to attend services of the Ethical Humanist Society in Chicago.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:150097
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.