Agnostic.com

4 2

Shitholes. What happens when we and the rest of westernized civilization touch another place.

[medium.com]

William_Mary 8 Jan 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

exploitation

We tend to sweep under the rug the crippling effects that imperialism had on a lot of non-Western countries. Most of the imperialists didn't give a rat's ass about the places they conquered- they just exploited whatever resources they wanted and left the people with nothing. Not to mention redrawing borders so as to maximize tribal differences and conflict (especially in Africa).

Now I don't consider the West pure evil for doing this- countries of all sorts have been conquering and pillaging for centuries before. But I do also empathize with the devestating effects that Western imperialiam has had on non-Western countries- something that a lot of these countries have only just recently escaped from. Just as the West is not uniquely evil, the non-West is not somehow inferior- it's just been through a lot of shit lately.

And let's not forget that places like Africa and the Middle East have been bastions of civilization long before Europe was even a blip on the cultural radar. We are in no position at all to be calling these guys inferior.

Everything you say. Sure, a lovely country....but remember, the "T" in TPS stands for "temporary".

You know some Americans don't understand how Hispanic culture dictates la familia. Everything is the family back home. Anyone who comes to the States will do what they can to help those struggling at home. A recent episode of 90 Day Fiance showed how the Dominican fiance sent money home to support his mother and sister. My Puerto Rican friends send money to their family even before the storms hit. Recently a home health aide of mine sent a container of canned goods and clothing which I contributed to -sent to family and those in need in the Dominican Republic. If it upsets the Pubs and trump too fucking bad-they take care of their own-something more Americans should do.

Puertorricans ARE HOME; they are American Citizens by birth.

No every Latino is as you say / think...fortunately.... most South Americans don't send anything to their families; it all depends in the families, the culture, the education. Not every Latino came to USA "because money / political reasons".

didn't say that. Yes they are Americans.How can you make such a broad statement? How many Latino families do you personally know?

@DUCHESSA treated the same way as ward 9 in new orleans, callously

@sassygirl3869 I gues I know several thousands families. See, I lived 29 years in Argentina...I am Latina, Argentinean and I speak the language back n forth... and with a deep knowledge of the Latino culture do to my profession.
We are so different...from country to country...and from region to region that it would amaze.

The one who made a broad statement was you....placing every Latino family in the same box.

My statement was based with people I lived with that were Puerto Rican,.I spoke the language back then, ate the food and learned that Latinos without money still take care of their friends. Think we have a class difference here.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15124
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.