Agnostic.com

8 12

It hit me this morning that since recognizing my atheism (many moons ago), I've actually become a much more "moral" individual. Perhaps it's simply a case of age-related maturation. You tend to act much less impulsively and think things through more. Or maybe, once I eliminated the fallacies of belief, I became more acutely aware of what really constituted ethical (moral) behavior. Maybe since I knew that there was no "forgiveness" to be obtained, I just had to behave better, to be a better version of myself, so I could be at peace with my choices.
I've never been all that concerned with the judgments of others, so what anyone else thinks of me is rarely a consideration or motivation. BUT, I need to be able to face myself. Every day.
Call it "conscience", or whatever you choose. Mind you, this is all happening in MY head. Your mileage may vary.

KKGator 9 Jan 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I believe that people who are more intelligent often are deeper and better thinkers than those of average intelligence, and are more likely to have a deeper understanding of what is good than people of average intelligence. Their ethical thinking and beliefs tend to be more rational and well-thought out. And I think many atheists tend to fall into this category of people.

Proud of you ....your reasoning defines the strengths of character all Atheists can enjoy modeling to the unforgivable believers

No, I haven't changed since finally cutting the religous umbilical, but, I do see others differently, those who hide behind religion, more for their lack of action rather than what they actually do.

ethical is a better word as morals are imposed social constructs

I used both words to mean the same thing. Let's not split hairs, shall we?

@KKGator the religious debate how many angels can dance upon the head of a pin

I think that when many people move away from religion, they -- if character is of any value -- feel almost an obligation to PROVE just how good and ethical a person he or she is without the control of religious dogma. I know that was the case with me.

The more I read and listen to the facts or what i consider to be the facts, I understand more and reason things out. Education is a wonderful tool to better yourself.

The following article published in Scientific American may be of interest to you and others.
[scientificamerican.com]

Interesting. Confirms some things I've always suspected, which makes me really sad.
I honestly don't believe full equality between the genders is ever going to be achieved. At least not in my lifetime. We're just too different. Hopefully, continued evolution of the species will rectify that eventually. As long as we don't drive ourselves to extinction beforehand, that is.

@KKGator equality in relationships is learned and both my daughters married men who live up to the equality standard. ..I am most optomistic with the growth of world wide Atheism current religions will be abated as are Zeus Thor Apollo Aphrodite Athena and the volcano blood sacrifice religions

If I put a gun to your head and made you do something terrible, that would not make you an immoral person. If I threatened you with eternal damnation and made you do something wonderful, that does not make you a moral person. I don't know if religious people are moral at all.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15144
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.