Agnostic.com

6 8

LINK Companies In Iceland Now Required To Demonstrate They Pay Men, Women Fairly : The Two-Way : NPR

Why is this an exception and not a worldwide rule?

As the Icelandic Women's Rights Association notes, equal pay for equal work has been mandated by Icelandic laws since 1961.

What is remarkable about the new law in Iceland is how it enforces equal pay standards. It does not rely on an employee to prove she was discriminated against. Instead, the burden is on companies to prove that their pay practices are fair.

The policy change comes after years of discussion and pilot testing, based on frustration with the fact that several gender-equity laws were not budging the actual pay gap.

(this was from Jan 2018. )

Lukian 8 Aug 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is a real change!! I always find it frustrating when a law actually does not help the victim or actually makes it more difficult to get justice.

I didn't know I had to debate this article too much but seems one person took offense (see below)

@Lukian I could not read all - made my head want to burst.

@silverotter11 sorry about that. Can't get a decent debate sometimes.

Surely, all of the men who insist we are paid equally will support this, as it will ultimately prove them correct when it’s discovered that there was no wage gap to begin with. At least in one country. 😉

I think the burden to prove the value of a person lies with the individual. It seems a bit backwards otherwise.

True for hiring but after months and years of service then the company inherits the burden.

Excellent! I fervently hope other countries do the same thing.

I worked for an Icelandic owned company in Albion, MI (Ousser). The paid meager pay and benefits...women less than men.

If the story is true, it only means they played according to the local rules. Why blame them?

@Lukian "If the story is true..." Why do you doubt what I say? Why such a rude suggestion (that I am lying)? "Why blame them?" Such a statement is born of ignorance. If you had studied scientific management techniques (I suggest McGregor and Deming) you would not ask such an ignorant question. Read the management styles as put fourth by McGregor and Deming and you will see that such a negative style and practices (McGregor's "Theory X" ) actually are counter productive. By the way, it was "Ossur" in Albion, Michigan (they had a branch in Tennessee and California also), and they made prosthetics for amputees. You can look them up on the internet. I believe the main company in Iceland was something like "Ickercross".

@dahermit Why doubt what you say?
1- Oh I don't know, let me think, this is the fckn internet, where ppl like Alex Jones reside. Everything is doubtful.
2. This is the first time I see you so I'm skeptical of new know-it participants.
3. you had a very convenient answer to a very particular question.
4. I'm wondering how you would know the salary gap in a company you worked for because it's either BS or you worked for HR or accounting which raised many ethical issues.
5. If you get annoyed for being challenged in the manner I did, your interaction in this site will be quite miserable I can guarantee you that.

As for trying to insult your way into getting an answer, I see nothing to debate here. I'm implying that you have a chip on your shoulder somehow. And lastly, why would singling out one company with business outside Iceland add to the conversation of the article?

Take a chill pill buddy.

@Lukian 1- Oh I don't know, let me think, this is the fckn internet, where ppl like Alex Jones reside. Everything is doubtful.

"This is the first time I see you so I'm skeptical of new know-it participants."
I have not seen you here either...so what? By the way, I have a master's in Training in Business and Industry...that is where I get my knowledge of management practices, but of course you are not going to believe that are you?
"you had a very convenient answer to a very particular question." What question was that?

"I'm wondering how you would know the salary gap in a company you worked for because it's either BS or you worked for HR or accounting which raised many ethical issues." I knew what I was getting...I asked them what they were being paid and they told me. In the instance of the woman who trained me, I was getting the same as her despite her having been there for several years.
"If you get annoyed for being challenged in the manner I did, your interaction in this site will be quite miserable I can guarantee you that." My apologies...you just struck me as an ass-wipe with no particular credentials as to management and your posts have not shown otherwise.
The reason I choose to comment on Ousser was that it was the last company I worked for (retired) and was familiar with its practices. Now STFU and get some credentials before you post...you do not know what you are talking about.

@dahermit I still don't understand how your comments, your expertise, your attitude, your experience and now your insults are contributing any relevant insight or new knowledge to this post. I did ask a question with an accompanied article that you so conveniently ignored but instead making anything I say a personal matter. You should revise your debating skills.

@Lukian Go away little boy...you bore me.

@dahermit ah too bad, you're not boring you're just wrong.

Small population in Iceland so it is easier for them to check all employers are complying. Can’t see it happening in the UK or USA.....but it should.

small country small government... I don't see that as a problem for a larger country, everything should be relative.

@Lukian In UK they have cut back on the number of tax inspectors, customs and border officials, police officers and public health inspectors. I can’t see them hiring enough inspectors or new civil servants to police this.

@Marionville this does not require <policing>, it just needs to become an accounting metric added to the company financials at the year end declaration. That would become a paper trail that can be audited later in times of conflict. Easy.

@Lukian Wish you could come and run things in UK! ?

@Marionville Ha!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:151671
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.