Agnostic.com

3 1

LINK Bible-Thumping Democrats Should Be a Curiosity - TheHumanist.com

From the article: Of course, the impulse of politicians of all stripes—including liberal, Democratic standard-bearers—to quote the Bible or otherwise prove they are authentically religious isn’t new. Throughout the 2016 campaign, including at the Democratic National Convention and in her nomination acceptance speech, Hillary Clinton frequently invoked the Methodist quote: “Do all the good you can, for all the people you can, in all the ways you can, as long as ever you can.” It’s hard to argue with the sentiment, but it did inject Clinton’s personal religion into the political sphere.

More recently, Clinton traded Bible quotes with Attorney General Jeff Sessions. After Sessions quoted the apostle Paul in support of the Trump administration’s policy of separating children from their parents at the border, Clinton didn’t explain to him that the First Amendment precludes the administration from basing government policies on Bible passages. Instead, she simply pointed him to another passage, suggesting that he look to Matthew instead of Paul: “Jesus said suffer the little children unto me. He did not say let the children suffer.”

zblaze 7 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've done it myself -- speak the language of the opposition. calling on separation of church and state just raises sessions' hackles, since he has even SAID he doesn't believe in that separation. better to correct him within his own realm. speaking of correcting, it's suffer the little children to come to me. suffer means "allow" in this context. it has nothing to do with what we think of as suffering. by the way, i would not consider clinton's response anything remotely resembling bible-thumping.

g

Use the enemy's tools against them. If they think they have a lock on the Bible, then prove them wrong.
Doesn't mean I believe a word of it.

She was merely using what they thought they knew against them. We are not separate from our backgrounds.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:152353
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.