Agnostic.com

3 2

LINK The Social Mirror of Orange Is the New Black - TheHumanist.com

From the article: In Season 6 the inequities and brutal realities of the US prison system continue to be draped in the trappings of other oppressive systems. The socioeconomic stratifications outside the barbed wire-topped walls are on display as some inmates are represented by high-powered attorneys carrying sleek laptops, and others are represented by frazzled and overstressed public defenders. The power of religion to break apart a family is exemplified by the parents of inmate Nicky Nichols (Natasha Lyonne) who made their daughter’s bat mitzvah the battleground for a nasty divorce. The American Civil Liberties Union and Black Lives Matter show up in the courtroom to defend a black inmate wrongly accused of killing a guard, and in a moment that wrenches tears from both the character and the viewer, [SPOILER ALERT] a guilty verdict rings through the courtroom. Drawing a marked connection to the immigration battles of today’s politics, the industrialized prison corporation that controls the women’s lives begins to branch out into border control and detention.

zblaze 7 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Outstanding analysis and a great show. Have you seen Wentworth? It's a remake of a 70's version of a womens' prison - takes place in Australia.. It's amazing..

Yes I have, and really enjoyed it.

I had to stop reading because I just started the new season, but I'll say this; I watched s6e1 and I had to stop. That was 2-3 days ago and I haven't moved ahead yet.
That episode was harder to watch than all but the most grizzly episodes of The Handmaid's Tale.

I love this show. I have to wait for the DVD’s to come out, but well worth bingeing.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:152357
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.