Agnostic.com

8 0

LINK Is Rap Music? - YouTube

I love how in the 21st century, this still needs to be explained to people.

ghettophilosopher 7 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is not very musical music. If you can't hum the melody and the song be recognizable, or play or hum a hook line, and it be recognizable, it isn't very musical. Music and art form, yes. Musically interesting, no.

I would say that that's a very pop music definition, but rap music IS pop music. It's definitely a very Western definition.

How does one him a chord? A drum solo? If humming is your standard, I would say that a lot of what's called music would fall right out of the category.
And hooks? Are you really going to argue that a hook is what makes music?

@ghettophilosopher It is s musical definition. As a player, it is musically boring. Hooks are what people remember. I may not love everything the Stones do, but Richards is the king of hook lines. His hooks get stuck in your head. What instrument do you play?

I suppose it must be but it's not my cup o'tea. Anyway I'm old. I only have one rap album. It's by The Roots, called 'And Then You Shoot Your Cousin. It's experimental, moving from classic music to street to hiphop and back.

You just made my life right now! I absolutely adore that album. You might be interested in the one prior titled "Undun." Very similar in nature.

I challenge any commenter who says no to present me with a definition that both accurately encapsulates music AND disqualifies rap.

Also, feel free to actually watch the damn video. People who make arguments without listening to and addressing the counterarguments, before, during, or after, are simply wasting everyone's time.

No it's not. The performers don't sing or play instruments.

Carin Level 8 Aug 10, 2018

Not only are you not familiar with rap, you are not familiar with the definition of music. And I'm gonna take a leap and say that you probably didn't watch the video either.

@PalacinkyPDX They often "borrow" tracks from other musicians, correct? When I see it on Saturday Night Live (if I don't turn it off) there don't seem to be instruments involved. I try to limit my exposure to rap but I do have kids. & no, no way am I watching a rap video. I really don't like rap.

@Donotbelieve That's not why I don't think it's real music though. There's plenty of music I don't like, but I don't say isn't music.

@Carin The video is not a rap video. It is literally an explainer, done by a musician that examines music and music theory on his videos. He addresses every argument you just made (and more).
Secondly, many performances happen without any instruments involved. By that definition, Acapella doesn't qualify as music.
Finally, think about how you sound right now. You jumped in with your opinion but have no desire to examine the counter argument, because you don't like it... You didn't come here for a discussion; you came to yell out your opinion and keep moving along. Is that not what trolling is?

No, I'm not yelling & I'm not a troll. Don't ask a question if you don't want people to reply with their own opinions. And since acapella is singing, why would anyone say it's not music?

@Carin Opinions given without a willingness to examine counter arguments is trolling. Regardless, I'll address your argument, which is what, that singing and instruments are required to be defined as music?

@ghettophilosopher Lighten up cowboy. I've been playing music for a living for over 45 years, and this shit ain't that serious. It"s just music.

@Sticks48 Come back when your culture becomes marginalized. Then you can tell me to lighten up. Cowboy...

@ghettophilosopher You just like being a dick. Whatever moves people musically moves them. I never judge that. If someone doesn't like music l like l could care less.

@Sticks48 Calling you out for being condescending makes ME a dick... Just think about that.

I enjoy most rap.. when it gets into some of derogatory stuff, I shut off. I love the beats and techniques for the most part.

It is, by definition, not.

And what definition is that?

@ghettophilosopher [thoughtco.com]

@Secretguy And besides that fact that this isn't a definition, but a description of elements that the article itself says theorists disagree on ("Leading musical theorists differ on how many elements of music exist," ), what part of this article disqualifies rap music?

It is mor elike spaekign to music rather than music itself.

Did you actually watch the video?

Yes. Of course it's music but it's not my type unless it's the oldies like sugarhill gang et al

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:152429
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.