Agnostic.com

58 6

Was becoming atheist difficult?

For me, it wasn't. My family has been in New York city for well over 100 years... Irish heritage. From an early age i didn't buy the story of Christ, let alone the catholic thing.

I remember asking my grandmother - if Jesus knew he was god, then why is any aspect of the story impressive?

The best she could do was to tell me "its just important to believe" which of course just doesn't last. But she never raised her voice or made me feel unaccepted in anyway. I was about 10 at the time, and never gave the god question much thought until i was 23 or so. I was irreligious but believed there must be something... then i met a woman who commented "unless god means a timeless, disembodied creator of the universe, then you're just playing word games". Ive been an atheist since.

Despite the religiosity of my mother, and her mother, i didnt get much guff for my questions. And i never felt in anyway disadvantaged for not believing.

I'm privileged to be an atheist in NYC... its really not a big deal in my experience.

Whenever the subject comes up, i freely state my disbelief. My biggest interest is how anyone can believe, and as far as ive been able to figure, its a combination of wish thinking, tradition, lack of consideration, or fear of death.

I'd enjoy hearing about other people's experiences.

Juggler67 6 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

58 comments (51 - 58)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, as a matter of fact the conversion was quite easy. No getting dressed up to go listen to some hypocrite drone on for an hour. No dunking involved. I get to sleep in every Sunday. (To be honest I was never all that much of a believer to begin with. I quit going to church at 16.)

Not at all. I was lucky though. The most attempted doctornation that I went through was at school. Every Wednesday we had to walk to church and do a bible school type situation. It was/is bullshit, but I made it through it. My family only went to church for weddings and funerals (and my baptism, fuckers), so it wasn't a transformation for me, it was a realization.

Not hard at All, I’m not from a religious family, we are all atheists.

I'm agnostic, but no. Tho stepping off into not belonging to my community since forever was weird. but i had a few A friends.

I was brought up Catholic but I never really fell for the fairytale. Went through all the motions; catholic school, alter boy, confirmation, etc.. all without belief. My family was very accepting when I told them I was a non-believer.

Breaking away from childhood religious training is a very admirable thing, requiring intelligence, awareness, and courage.

The fact that many Christian Churches set forth a set of ridiculous and unbelievable lies and invoke fear and guilt to make you believe those lies—that in no way is proof one way or the other of the God question. There are some very deep and overwhelming mysteries concerning existence and the nature of reality.

In the face of these staggering mysteries, my response is total bewilderment. I do not presume to label myself.

For me it was a natural part of growing up. I was too busy agonising about girls to waste much energy worrying about my loss of religion.

I do think growing up in NYC was helpful for me with this. Most of my friends were Catholic or Jewish but not really religious. It was a non issue. Now when I moved away, that's a different story.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:152564
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.