Agnostic.com

2 2

LINK This article is part of Business Insider's ongoing series on Better Capitalism

Like a handful of other enterprising startups in the meat-alternative space, Memphis Meats' mission is to grow real meat from animal cells to minimize the environmental waste and ethical problems linked with factory farming.

But unlike the majority of the startup world, more than half of the company's team identify as women; 40% of them are in leadership roles.

The reason that's significant isn't merely because it's novel. It's also a key indicator of the company's core values, Roizen said.

'Great resumes are the price of admission, not the focus of our hiring process'

Memphis Meats is committed to hiring a diverse team of people who hail from a variety of backgrounds, Megan Pittman, Memphis Meats' director of people operations, told Roizen in an interview for a blog post she wrote about the experience.

SkotlandSkye 8 Aug 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Cue the conspiracy theorists who are tied into the ranchers... three...two...one...

?? that's not really what the article is about. It's about equality in the workplace.

@SkotlandSkye Yup! No additional comments are welcomed?

Interesting piece..maybe things are changing...slowly but surely.

Just curious..I wonder does the lab grown meat contain the same amount of cholesterol etc?

I think it's slightly less and can be manipulated. However, anything to get humans to quit abusing, exploiting, and killing animals is a good thing. If people want flesh, I'm no opposed to lab-cultured flesh. I won't eat it....but, as a chef, I will prepare the hell out of it if requested to do so.

@SkotlandSkye

Thanks ..I suppose it doesn't matter that much.. I'm planning to go vegetarian anyway soon.

@Hitchens Terrific! There's no day like today! 😉

@SkotlandSkye

Can't really..I'm hosting a BBQ next Friday..it will be too much temptation to give it up until after that......but if I can give up cigarettes and sex..I can give up meat too.

By the way, you do know that there is no correlation between amount of cholesterol that you eat
and the cholesterol levels in your blood.

@jwd45244 Well, that's only partially true! Some folks are born without an enzyme needed to transport cholesterol to the liver for elimination. It's genetic and called "Familial hypercholesterolemia." These good folks have to abstain from eating cholesterol or it ends up on their arteries... 😟 But for "normal" metabolizers? Yeah.

@jwd45244

No..I didn't..wow...can you elaborate?

@SukiSue

Thanks Suki..interesting..

@Hitchens We tend to generalize and basically we are correct. However, in many cases there are genetically inherited deficiencies or abnormalities that are rare (less than 3% of the total world population) and affect a particular demographic. This "genetic abnormality" strikes people of European descent, mainly Baltic ancestry. But as a people we have spread all over so it is now found everywhere. "Cholesterol" is measured in the number of transporters or carriers we possess. Our DNA makes there carriers.

"Genetic disorders causing low HDL are Apo lipoprotein A-1 (Apo A-I) deficiency, lecithin: cholesterol acyltransferase (LCAT) deficiency, and ATP-Binding Cassette Transporter A1 (ABCA1) deficiency, all of which are rare and autosomal-recessive.21 Apo A-I mutations cause the most elevation in cardiovascular risk compared with other gene mutations in HDL metabolism. Not all genetic forms of very low HDL-C are associated with increased risk of CVD.22" From www.lipid.org

So you can say, "Eggs don't cause high cholesterol issues." And you would be correct for some folks, but not for these people.

@SukiSue Thanks a lot Suki
Would the markers for this show up in a regular blood test I wonder..or only if they are specifically looking for that deficiency from Apo A-l mutation?

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:152937
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.