Agnostic.com

17 7

Fitness Bucket List

I hiked 8 miles of the Appalachian Trail with my son last week and it was ROUGH. I came home and watched "A Walk in the Woods" about 2 older guys who trudged through it and a documentary about someone who beat the record time RUNNING the whole way ("Karl Meltzer: Made to be Broken" )! I would descibe myself as active, but not athletic. My goal is to able to complete the much shorter Wonderland Trail around Mt. Rainier. What is on your fitness bucket list?

empirical 6 Aug 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have never been very active for my entire life. Reading was my go to activity growing up. The last year I do daily cardio and weights. Earning my black belt is on my bucket list now.

Finish through at least Athleanx AX-2 program.

being able to walk around the block without my walker.

being able to go to the jcc and work out in the pool twice a week, which i currently can't do not only because i am usually feeling too ill but because transportation is so hard to arrange.

short list!

g

"A walk in the woods" was a great book, but a horrible movie. It wasn't originally two older guys, Bryson was in his 40's at the time. You really should read it.

I tore my rotator cuff a few years ago, I would like to get back to a 250 bench press.

I liked the movie and did buy the book.

I'd like to be able to walk to the dining room.

A couple of years ago I joined our new gym. Over time I got to be in the best shape in over a decade. I have always been very active, racquetball, weights, kayaking, hiking, lots of other outdoor/indoor activities. One big activity, biking, landed me in the hospital. Funny, a nurse said my BP, heartbeat and other vital signs were impressive and said I must be active and the signs, especially at my age, attest to that. She was very impressed. Alas, a torn finger ligament will set me back for a long while!

I want to run in all 50 states, and on 6 continents. I think I'm about 28/50 and 2/6 to date, with Australia in the works for later this year!

Why not go for 7!

Get some cleats?

I love hiking in the mountains. Spend a lot of time in the Sierra's
Desolation Wilderness in California is my favorite.

Sorry (not sorry). I just had to.

Have my healthspan equal my lifespan

right now I'm working toward getting back to running. So far, I'm up to 20 minutes on the treadmill... its too hot, humid, air full of mold/mildew/etc for me to run outside and not have my asthma kick in (allergy induced). I'm also working toward bench pressing 125 lbs (56.7 Kilos) and leg pressing 250 lbs (113.4 kilos). Everything else is I want defined muscles. Not bulk, just nice definition. Working on that too.

I pee when I run now, so gave up on that rotfl. Would like to tone my mom arms, but that mught be hopeless, too.

@empirical I went to a women's health seminar that included a pelvic floor physical therapist (I kid you not). She talked about pelvic floor issues in both men and women and went over how to do kegels correctly. I get the whole "oh you can do kegels anywhere" but I'm always afraid someone would catch the slight shift from the repetitive movement. so I sit or stand, in my cube during the work day and (literally) pinch off 10 an hour. Really helps.

I have found I can incorporate arm day on a cardio day using light weights (I'm up to 10 lbs) and working out my arms while walking on the treadmill. not running, just walking and using the weights in different exercises targeting arms and shoulders.

Toning your arms is not hopeless. Trust me on this. I've dropped 50 lbs in the last year and my skin is bouncing back but not like if I were in my 30's but still... its ok. My biceps are looking good, my triceps are starting to be noticeable when I flex and my shoulders and back have gotten compliments when I'm in corsets or stappy shirts/dresses.

but most importantly, it makes me feel good, great way to work out stress, it makes me feel strong too.. right up to the point my S/O shows up and picks me up like I'm nothing (I actually am lighter than his warm up weight at the gym).

@SallyInStitches Those must be some nice arms if you are wearing a corset and people are looking at your arms!

@empirical they aren't bad for an old broad 😀

Consider HIIT instead of running. Less time consuming and greater benefit.

@Mitch07102 i do HIIT about once a week. I enjoy it in a class but when its just me & there are others using the gym, I try to be respectful & use earbuds.
But HIIT & earbuds are not ecactly compatible. I lose momentum w/out the music to keep me on track.

At one point I was... let's just go with over 300 lbs... I decided to run a 10k within a year... I did it... that was 6 years ago... I ended up doing 4 or five over a few years... Now my goal is to make sure I can remain active. Hiking is a great way to keep the blood flowing. 🙂

climb a few more munros probably tie that into a 2 wk hike round the highlands next year all going well also do the entirety of the west highland way done a few stages but never it all

Love the Appalachian trail! Where were you hiking?

Great Smokey Mountain National Park near Gatlinburg, TN

Amazing. And great parent.

I’d like to walk the Bataan Memorial Death March. Maybe next year..

Marz Level 7 Aug 12, 2018

I'm walking (and elliptical-ing), swimming, and biking the miles of US Hwy 20, the longest road in the US. Not literally, obviously, just keeping track of my miles. I started in March, and have finished Oregon, just started into Idaho on Monday. It's going to take like 2 years ?

Remi Level 7 Aug 12, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:153412
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.