Agnostic.com

8 6

Do you believe men are more visual? And then about dogs..

So, I walked into the Library downtown in Albuquerque for the first time. I was a little surprised, thinking it was going to be a geek bar to find it was full of waitresses in little skimpy outfits and some serious looking men standing around in black suits. So I asked the most serious looking one why he wasn't wearing a little skimpy outfit. He said, "We don't do that."

There's a lot of heterosexual women out there with a paycheck, if they are drawing people in to look at youthful healthy bodies, why aren't the men in little shirts and shorts? I asked someone from the UK that I would chat with quite regularly, pointing out the many Hooters establishments and he told me men are more visual.

I wondered if some people think that women move around through life by our sense of smell more like dogs. Mr. Trump once referred to a female journalist as a dogface. When I was 25, a male friend that was 52 years old tried to make out with me. I told him flat out he was too old for me. He then responded that I was no spring chicken. To this I asked, "I'm sorry do you think women age in dog years?" It just seems there has been a lot of aligning women with dogs in our society, and I wonder if this is not seen as a concerning issue to people.

The truth is that women have been treated as subordinates for a long time. Historically, women stayed at home and men were breadwinners and politicians. Women weren't allowed to do lots of things like own their own bank account. Men were given authority to beat their wives and able to control society in many ways. Laws have changed, and still the culture has not caught up. Sex entertainment vastly caters to men to this day and it seems apparent that it is due to the roots of patriarchy

Many women voted for Donald Trump. A man who has been heard insulting women repeatedly regarding their appearances, who would vote for a face like that, disgusting fat pig, etc.. Selectively visual, because you don't hear so much about him speaking of men this way. I'm afraid these women really are beaten down like dogs and may believe that they deserve to be treated this way.

As far as our vision goes, maybe everyone needs to look a little more deeply.

thinkwithme 7 Jan 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't know if we are more visual than women, but we are definitely visual. There is nothing in human history to suggest we are not. The thousands and thousands of magazines and videos men rent, purchase, or look at on line should be proof enough. If not show me something comparable in womens behavior. It is biology. If we don't look at women they get upset if we do they get upset. In the words of Freud, what do women want?

You are a very talented writer. You probably know this, but excellent writing is a rarity these days and needs to be highlighted.

I hear regularly that men are visual. I suppose this has to do with the division of labor in early man. I believe psychological studies have confirmed that but I don’t know for sure. However, our society is definitely skewed to favor men. It’s getting better, but your right. I remember the ERA and Anita Bryant’s objections to it. Not just that but the negative reaction to it from the female community in general. Hopefully things will continue to get better. I have a daughter and I worry about her future. She’s a good kid and should be able to anything I can do.
I also like women. And they don’t have to get my attention by wearing skimpy clothing, but no one should be forced to dress that way for work. I also just don’t go to hooters.

I read in National Geographic a little about the study that found men better at tracking objects from a distance and women better at distinguishing colors suggesting hunter/gatherer societies contributed to this evolution. Ive also seen articles that suggest what activities people participate in, even playing video games can enhance vision.

I wouldn’t at all surprised @thinkwithme

Biologically speaking, many species evolve to value different traits in each sex. That being said, I think we have reached(and in fact are a few centuries into) a period of time where our evolution is more intellectual than biological. Society hasn’t caught up to this fact and actively fights against it. Trump is an example of this struggle to drag us back to some previous form of society.

That being said, every time I hear women advocating for the right to wear less and be accepted, all I can think is how happy I am that men’s shorts have gotten longer since 1970’s basketball shorts. That’s when men wore Hooters uniforms. But remember, women are fighting to wear leggings and short shorts and free the nipple while they are also fighting to not be ogled and harassed and to be treated as “sexless equals” in the workplace. It’s a very complicated fight that seems to pull in many directions, when at the core, it is simply the fight for common human dignity manifesting in different ways because these woman have been exposed to many different forms of oppression and discrimination in varying degrees.

However, as far as overall visual processing, this is an incredibly interesting article from a few years ago. I will excerpt one sentence from it that should help convince some to read it with an open mind:

“This latter group became less likely to objectify women, the researchers found.”

[scientificamerican.com]

The article does point to the media. We have been trained since we were children in the supermarket passing the magazine racks to see women in parts. I once asked a man why it is so often women in their underwear on the cover of magazines and he replied "Women look better in their underwear." To who? To hetero men. I appreciate that the article discusses seeing the whole picture. The truth is, leggings are comfortable and they feel good. It is easy to exercise and move around in them. Legs are for walking, getting someone places. And butts are great for sitting on when someone is tired. I don't think the arguement is to be viewed as sexless, as much as a whole person

I was trying to point out how the fight encompasses both gendered/sex specific norms for clothes that are free of the ogling and harassment, but at the same time ungendered/sexless treatment in professional realms of work. These two are often pitted against each other by opponents and even some feminists, making it a complicated fight. I am sorry if I wasn't clear in my initial response.

@DJVJ311 No apology necessary. I agree that feminists among themselves, like any group, do not always agree

First of all, a library has people in skimpy outfits? Librarians in the US cover up. Secondly, older men and men in general like to stare at me while I'm out or at the gym. None talk to me though. Yeah, they're visual people. Pictures/videos will get any man off.

Lol, The Library is a bar in Albuquerque. Pictures in the past and present presented women more often this way and men had the buying power.

A library in the US is a book loaning place.

@Sarahroo29 Yes, yes I know. This just happened to be a bar and the bar's name is the Library.

@thinkwithme Lol.

There was a man who fought for his right to work at "Hooters" through the courts, with the help of the ACLU. The man won. He walked into his local Hooters restaurant, head held high, and was ready to wait on tables. He was given the required Hooters uniform, and left in tears because it was made for a woman.

Somehow, reality of role reversals makes better lessons.

You are in error. Society is not patriarchal. Society molds itself to the necessities.

"In sociology, patriarchy is a social system in which males hold primary power and predominate in roles of political leadership, moral authority, social privilege and control of property." That is wiki definition. It is well documented that this is our history and continues on in many circumstances. Women did not have rights. The spousal exception for rape was not removed from all 50 states until 1992. Necessary? To what end was it necessary?

Thinkwithme, this is 2018. Women now allegedly have more rights now than men.

Hahaha I think it would be kind of funny to see...and gross at the same time. Imagine a rather hairy fella in some hooters shorts! Hahaha!

Hair is natural. There is also the option to shave.

I'd like to know how a woman would like to see a man dressed? In a suit? Is that visually enticing? or in a skimpy shirt which reveals some of the chest? Body hugging or loose trousers, whats you fancy ladies?

I like to see a man dressed in respect. I like to see his eyes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15369
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.