Agnostic.com

12 0

How do the governments of the world address the fact that there are to many people on this planet?

Our resources are limited! The land we live upon is becoming stressed by the shear number of people plying to make a living. Science and medicine have increased the life span of humans adding more people to the population Most religions call for adding to their numbers and rejecting birth control and abortions. The net result is over population which will challenge the future existence of the human race! Will we be able to recognize this crisis and take proper action to save the human race?

Marine 8 Aug 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

India offers free vasectomies in train stations. China has only recently relaxed its' One-child policy. We had abortion clinics, several birth control options, sex education, even a morning-after pill, all being eroded by evangelical zealots.

they are dodging this elephant in the room

Some thirty years ago or so , China , one of the more highly populated countries in the world , passed and strongly enforced laws , limiting families to one child only . As most families wanted a son to inherit and to carry on the family name , most female infants were killed at birth . After twenty or so years of killing off the female infants , , as the males were coming of age , they discovered there were nowhere near enough adult females . No brides to go with all the grooms .

makes even fewer humans though they have stopped that now

I saw that coming as soon as I read about it! But...pop. control on a different level!

True my grand daughter was adopted from China and is wonderful. This is one of the problems when there are cultural demands.A one child policy cannot allow there to be sex decisions to be made .. Also artificial insemination normally produces multiple births and I am not sure how to control this factor.However nations must recognize that there are to many people on this planet.

See, times like this I get confused over leftist ideaology. On one hand you are upset that medical services are not available to everyone (which isn't true and modern medicine is what's keeping people alive longer), and yet at the same time complain the world is over populated. Given how big this planet is and the billions of animals insects and fish that also share this world with us, I find it hard to believe that a little over 7 billion human beings is over population. If that much truly concerns you, then perhaps it's time to let the sickly and diseased die off (aka let nature take care of things) so as to ease the burden of over population? I know that may sound ghoulish to some, but something has to give, there needs to be a compromise somewhere. Limited resources and energy alternatives are topics for another post. Upon thinking it over more, I truly believe alot of the ado over the population concern is fearmongering, but alas most of what I have say almost always falls on deaf ears...

No deaf ears just concern about your solution to let the ill die.I find that cruel and in keeping with republican actions. The republicans fight abortion , the pill after and contraception yet once the child comes into the world they are reluctent to educate ,feed and house these individuals. I guess that is the way they want them to die!

How are you doing . I have not heard from you for a while.

@Marine Please keep in mind I am not a Republican as I disagree with quite a few of their stances, abortion being one of them, what choices women make are none of my business and thus they should be free to live their lives the way they wish. When it comes to letting people die and in particular the ill, I think nature should be allowed to take its course. Think about this one for a moment- the far left cries over world population and one would rationally think that if we just allow nature to take care of the terminally ill (let people die naturally) that could only help with the population concern, but the left wants to have it both ways by complaining about population overgrowth and keeping ill people alive longer and that does not make any sense to me whatsoever. Again I say both political sides are and continue to be wrong in their approach on the issues that affect our lives.

I'm doing okay, hope all has been good for you lately. I wish I had more time to be on here, but life has been keeping me busy. I'm still around though. You remember the guy on here who went by the name NotConvinced? He wanted me to say hi to you, and he's doing okay as well. Later Marine, take care.

Futurists were spreading gloom and doom on this topic in the 1970s and yet here we still are.

Population growth is a self-limiting problem. Education, wealth, lifespan increases and resource constraints tend to tamp down reproduction in humans, and so extrapolating from where we are to some dystopian future, does not follow. The models used have to be more complex than that.

That said, I think people should be way more mindful about reproducing and a whole lot of other things.

what planet are you on?

Famine and plague are not acceptable means of controling population and that is what is going to occur if we do not control the growth of the population.The mass migration moves by the people of Africa to Europe are causing problems for these countries due to cultural bias and ways. They are not being assimulated because of these differences which include religion of different kinds. However to stay in their own countries they face criminal elements, famine and unstable governments.

Too many? Based upon what metric? Please cite the sources behind your statements.

Union of Concerned Scientists: This is a world wide collection of all types of scientists who see problems with climate change,resources,water and population which impact each of these concerns.You can join their organization for reports on matters of concern they have reported.

They institute one child policies. Ask China how that worked out for them.

It's called war and famine.

unless/until there is some kind of mass epidemic or catastrophic event(s), mass extinction etc...we will continue to multiply.

your right

As we (hopefully) continue to trend toward green energy, this question changes. There are vast, vast swathes of inhabitable land that sit uninhabited all over the world. We could give away a couple acres to every man, woman and and we'd still have room. We are not remotely close to what the planet can support, assuming we figure out green energy.

Agriculture isn't a problem, we already produce enough food for well over 10 billion people. Famines don't occur naturally, they're a result of politics. Agricultural practices, too, continue to gain efficiency. I don't mean like, barely enough to get by on. The World Education Service believes we produce enough food for everyone to have almost 3,000 calories a friggin' day.

We're not running out of fresh water, either, it's just something that isn't easy to transport. Again, technology is the savior. Build dams for water, not vaginas!

And most importantly, it's not like the population is exploding anymore. Most of the world, sans Africa, sees the average woman produce somewhere between 1 and 2 children over her lifetime. That's negligible population growth.

As long as the majority of people believe in religion I believe that the human race will face extinction by shear numbers.There is only so much water,food and land available and these are already under stress by the population of the world. Governments will by necessity need to do something to control population growth. This means limiting the number of births per family,increased use of birth control and abortions all of which are opposed by religions. The latter will need to change to permit the civilization to survive.

Whoa there Marine, government is not the answer to our problems where those issues are concerned. Your suggestion above is truly Orwellian in nature, and has no place in what's supposed to be a free country. Besides, when government oversteps its boundaries, there will be citizens to keep a close check on things...

@SpikeTalon See the above reply to your reply.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:153844
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.