Agnostic.com

10 1

Out of Context?

I left Islam when I was thirteen and was an atheist since then. However, when it comes to criticizing/ridiculing the religion an apologist will always say that I've taken the verse out of context. My question is: What's the best way of dealing with this sort of apologetic tactic?

GodlessWahid666 5 Aug 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That's moving the goal posts. Who's interpretation? Sunni? Shia? Wahhabi?

And then HG Wells time machine actually does exist, or did I take the book out of context?

Ask them what the context is supposed to be and see if they actually have any clue what it is. Pretty embarrassing for them when they can't answer.

godef Level 7 Aug 13, 2018

This Gentleman tells it like it is..probably in a Kuaiti Prison by now...

@GodlessWahid666

Hi is he a full Athiest ..do you know?

Asking for hard evidence or other kinds of verifiable proof is always a solid strategy, but you will run into people who mistake the verse in the book for the objective truth and you have to continue to point out that it is NOT. HTH

Is that a specific verse ?

Ask them "Well, how else am I supposed to take passages such as "Slay the unbelievers wherever you find them?"".

Ask them to provide the evidence to support their belief. They will use scripture or Koranic text to do so, and it will become a circular argument. My advice is to try to avoid these sort of situations, it is not any benefit to us for them to change their beliefs we are not trying to convert them to atheism. I just ask that they do us the same courtesy.

I don't know... I don't criticize or ridiculize... religion, any or all.

Simply respond with the surrounding text if indeed it does support your position. If it doesn't, it would have been better not to say anything at all.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:154586
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.