Agnostic.com

9 0

How would you say this in a nicer manner?

" I know this already, I am fifty not fifteen.

Mokvon 8 Aug 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My go-to.."Uh-HUH!" in a cheery, patronizing mom manner while paying little attention to the speaker.

This implies they are infants you are humoring.

For people blabbing about religion, I look at them, smile, and pay attention ONLY if they are sticking to neutral subjects, in a friendly manner. This method is very QUICK to train people to avoid talking about religion.

It would help to know the situation that the phrase was used in originally.

Thanks I considered that after I wrote the question.

It depends on what it’s about and to whom.

“Everyone learns best by experience.”
“Thanks, I will consider what you are saying and then let you say ‘I told you so”.
“Yes, that’s the traditional view, but I am doing it a different way.”
“Yes, I agree. I am just in the process of doing that.”
“Thanks for the advice, I think it’s lovely that you have my best interests at heart.” (Then ignore)
“Yes, I think that’s what you said when you first taught me how to do it” etc.

Livia Level 6 Aug 14, 2018

How about, "Yes; I think that is common knowledge."

Normally I say "I don't know how I lived so long without you telling me what to do." My mother doesn't find it near as funny as I do.

How about, “duh?” That always makes my point ?

I would leave out any reference to age-ist numbers like 50 and 15. Perhaps I would say, "I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday." But age-related put-downs, in my opinion, are bigoted statements about both 50-year-olds and 15-year-olds. Not every 50-year-old person is smarter than any particular 15-year-old person. Mini-rant ends.

Point taken about age. But not everything is innate. Words can both build and destroy and argument. Depends on what you are trying to get across.

@Mokvon You can still leave numbers out of it, right?

@skye724 yes. Depending on the topic or situation. As a medical professional. I promise you want to see crow's feet on the face of the doctor thst will operate on you. There is no substitute for experience. Age is a good indicator. It matters not how smart a kid is experience in some situations is it.

@Mokvon Just can't hang with ya there. I prefer physiciams who are younger - more versed in newer techniques, likelier to understand the role of nutrition, more flexible and aware. Experience is fine, but age is no indicatir of the quality of that experience.

@skye724 I have heard this argument before. Despite what might be seen on TV. There are no teenage doctors. By the time they are working most are in their mid 30's on the young side hardly. And as for surgeon I will always choose the older. The older taught the younger.

Q: Age is no guarantee of efficiency.

James Bond: And youth is no guarantee of innovation.
" Skyfall"

@Mokvon Again, disagree. One of my closest friends is a neurosurgeon with his MD from NYU and his residency and fellowship from Harvard Med School. He has always advised me, and I have continually reaped the benefits of, selecting and working with younger physicians whose methods and practices are less stultified, and who work with me rather than dictating to me. To each his own, but what you are describing are preferences, not facts, as am I. I would rather take my medical guidelines from a neurosurgeon than James Bond. 🙂

@skye724 I have actual work experience on this topic. No one gave me their opion. The only time I would agree to go younger is medsurg and E.R. visits of cardiac nature. And not if you will be going under the knife. Still to each their own. And the quote seamed apropos to the topic at hand. Just my attempt at levity. Have a good day.

@Mokvon And I have actual experience from practitioners and similar conversations with physicians across the spectrum. Neither of us has a "superior" opinion. We both have opinions. I love levity, except as a device to make someone with whom I am having a discussion feel foolish. You have a great day - and a wonderful week - yourself!

Yes thanks .

"I learned this years ago."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:155451
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.