Agnostic.com

6 0

How could agnostics believe in soul/spirits when there are no evidences supporting it?

BlueSkySun 3 Aug 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's highly unlikely our consciousness, a product of our brains, survives the death of said gray matter. That's what people really mean when they worry over their "soul."

I'm scared to die, just like most people, but not because of my soul or whatever. My atoms will go on to do different things, become parts of new processes, and my consciousness will simply cease.

Do you remember how long it took to get from the beginning of the universe to your birth? The same will be true after your death.

As one of my favorite Kurzgesagt videos said: Close your eyes, count to one. That's how long forever feels.

I think that most of us - myself included - find it very difficult to comprehend that our entire selves and personalities are nothing more than chemical processes and reactions within the brain. That's very understandable: each of our personal understanding and knowledge of the universe is, after all, filtered through that collection of experiences that makes us what we term "us", it is all we have known since birth and all we can possibly know until death. It's no surprise then that, deep down below all our evidence-based thinking and scientific knowledge, many of us can't quite let go of the notion of the self as an actual, self-contained thing, nor easily accept that there will come a day when those chemical processes and reactions will cease and our selves, or souls for those who call them that, will simply no longer be.

Jnei Level 8 Aug 15, 2018

As explained by Ernest Becker, we tend to embrace anything that manages our dread of death.

We have no control over what others believe, we only know our own minds, and sometimes not even that! We agnostics and atheists do not all think the same way and are an amorphous grouping, so there will be some who believe they have a spiritual dimension and those who don’t. What we all have in common is we believe there is no evidence to support a belief in god.

What Christians call a "soul," is what other traditions call "mind." Mind being that thing that generates thoughts, feelings, emotions, and that we call "I, Me, Mine." There is plenty of evidence that we have a mind, but it's essence is ineffable, and it can't be found. Now the question that you might ask is does the mind continue after the death of the body? Personally, I don't know. I like to think that I am open to the possibility. But I'm ok with the mind dies with the death of the body.

Was going to post essentially the same thing

Seriously?
Einstein showed us that all matter is a form of energy, so since energy can neither be created nor destroyed, we have always existed and will always exist in some energy form. No reason to think energy souls don't exist, and quantum physics already tells us different dimensions exist.

"For physicists, the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." -Einstein

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:155689
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.