Agnostic.com

22 6

Did you ever feel really down for no particular reason?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

sometimes....but if I think about it....I can usually identify the reason(s)

Hi.. I was perfectly fine yesterday..today..bang! Felt total and utter despair.. not a mood swing..I just plummeted out of the sky..

@Hitchens existential crisis? 😉

@SkotlandSkye

Well I'm certainly in the right place for that discussion!

Male menopause? Hormonal thyroid possibly after last relapse..

Fucked me up today..Im paralysed with weird anxiety and profound godawful despair.. like every bad mood rolled into one..

Not even easy to type...hope this passes soon..or I'm going to be climbing the walls..

Wish me luck...

@Hitchens I'd invite you over for banana pecan coconut mylk ice cream and mango smoothies....but there's a pond in the way. I hope you can identify the source of your troubles ....

@SkotlandSkye

Thanks ?

For one thing I could drown myself in the great pond...secondly..if you walk over and check I think you'll find your out of mangoes..I'd speak to your flatmate about that..?

@SkotlandSkye

Actually that smoothie sounds fab.. I'm gonna cut and paste that into memos..thats a keeper..
You are cheering me up already....

@Hitchens My flatmate stole some grapes and blueberries earlier....but he didn't make off with the mangos.... yet.... 😉

@SkotlandSkye

So I was originally supposed to get blueberries in my smoothie...I feel hard done by..he's a slippery fish..?

Sometimes it is caused by a lack for vitamins B and/or C and iron . Sometimes it's a monthly hormonal response .

Hi Castles..I'm on D anyway because its recommended.

May be related to a relapse I had with underactive thyroid a few weeks ago..IDK..

Thank you..

@Hitchens Ask your doctor to put you on a synthoid . I spend $0.93 per month on these tiny little pills . Half my thyroid was removed and the other half was not fully functional when they did it .

@Hitchens I was thinking thyroid. My synthroid prescription got messed up once & I became an emotional wreck. You couldn’t say boo to me and I would want to cry. I wasn’t depressed, I was emotional. I felt a lot better once I got back on the correct dose.

@Cast1es
Cheers Castles I will look into that..is it better than Eltroxin do you think?

@Cast1es, @helionoftroy

Thank you..Im on high dose Eltroxin..but I think your right..since I had the relapse..I have been a physical and certainly today an emotional wreak.

Thanks

@Hitchens I believe synthoid is a generic name for the medication , like asprin is generic , as opposed to , for instance , Bayer's Asprin .

@Cast1es

Yes that's what I was just thinking...they are one in the same methinks.

Nope. There is reason for my depression.

There is always a reason. Sometimes illness or injury, more often the current state of humanity and the biosphere.

It may be one or all of these PB...I can't say..powerful drop in mood..very.
Not like me...

Yes. Usually goin gfor a hice easy walk in the woods helps me get over it.

I'm gonna hit the beach in the morning..rain cyclone forecast.. perfect for a quiet beach and to shout at deaf heaven!

Thanks..

@Hitchens When I lived in Long Beach, California, I went for rides along the bike path along the beach as a way to "bliss out."

@snytiger6

Sounds like bliss alright..the sea calms the mind..it really does..combine it with excersise and it's the perfect combo for me..

Often. When it happens, I think back to a phrase a couple ex-Army guys taught me, "Embrace the suck." Counterintuitive, maybe, but it's my acknowledgment that life stinks at the moment and I'll get through it.

Hi..

I know that one...straighten up and fly right..?

I have no choice but to muscle through it anyway.

Cheers Pal..

Yes. Sometimes l can reason myself out of it, but not always.

Hi Sticks..

I don't think it's depression..although I was treated for depression in my late 20's..but I decided to quit the drug regime..because the drugs were as bad as the condition..just numbed you..like a zombie.

That was a long time ago..these days I reason my way through a mood swing..

This is unusually profound..must be hormones.

Cheers.

Yes, often. I either analyze it (so I can deal with it), chase it away (distraction) or embrace it, depending on the strength that I may or may not have on any particular day.

YES.. I need a distraction..anything to shake this..not used to it..
Thank you..

@Hitchens No worries. Hope it works for you as well as it works for me. 😀

Yeah, I think it happens to all of us from time to time. Some of us are hard on ourselves over it. Gotta remember to give yourself a break, self-empathy, as opposed to self-pity, helps. We're all imperfect creatures.

Thank you Xuande...wasn't expecting to be hit like a truck for no good reason..no point in being angry at myself..The storm will pass over..good advice. Cheers.

@Hitchens you just made my day man. I didn't know you were necessarily asking for yourself. Here's to better days.

We would not be human if now and again we didn’t feel “down”. Most times we know why but at other times we don’t. Unless there is an underlying health problem these feelings are usually transitory and going out into the countryside or meeting friends usually dispels them.

I'm hosting a BBQ on Friday for friends..going for a run on the beech in the morning...thats 2 boxes ticked..hope I feel better by Friday..otherwise I will be the host from apathy land..and they will expect me to be Mr.Happy..

Thanks Marrion..

@Hitchens Hope your mood lifts..I’m sure it will.

Yes, I usually do something that will make me happier and lift my spirits. If the feeling comes back, then I have to look inwards because “something” is bothering me.

Hi..

I will definately need a distraction for this mood..just not used to it...

Thanks

Yes. Often no rhyme or reason to it. But it fades with a little time.

Hopefully this will pass soon too..thank you.

Never for no reason...... When it has happened, there were reasons for it

I'm sure there are reasons, but often it happens without me knowing what they are. Some things that roll off my back one day may be overwhelming on another. I explore the logical reasons and, when I can't identify them, I wait it out. Are you feeling that way today?

Although, @Hitchens, it struck me that the fact that you aren't commonly depressed, and that it came on you hard and fast, may lean towards a biological problem. Have you changed meds lately, or had any other physical changes occur? It may be worth a visit to your doctor to confirm culprits like BP, heart incidents, diabetes, etc.

@Lauren

Hi Lauren..thank you yes I am.

I am only on meds to manage autoimmune.underactive thyroid..
I had a relapse 3 weeks ago..my G.P upped my meds (Eltroxin)..it is getting under control now.

It's possible that my hormones have not rebalanced properly yet..low mood is a symptom of underactive thyroid ...however there is a difference between low mood..and falling figuratively out of the sky.. but due to the recent huge relapse..its something to consider..

From the recent visit :

Diabetes Negative.
B.P. textbook
Bloods all middle range..no issues.
Heart & lungs clear
TSH range -2<>2 but mine was +11 way off.

Sudden unexplained dispair?

@Hitchens Hey, James! Well, so much for biological issues ... you seem completely sound. I'm sensitive to changes in my thyroid meds but this seems extreme. I hope it's been diminishing as you go through the day, particularly with all of us second-guessing your health.

Sending digital hugs your way with the hope that it fades away as quickly and mysteriously as it appeared.

@Lauren

So Lauren..really really appreciate your good wishes and support..its now 4.20 am I have been awake with this for about 22 hours..the sudden onset of despair and anxiety has definately subsided now..and finally given way to fatigue and a sense of cathartic relief..I will sleep in tomorrow and have a run on the beech.. I think the support from you and others has acted like a sort of cognitive therapy..it gave me a distraction and a space to breath..so I could muscle through...
Thank you again..it means a lot to me..I intend to be strong like bull tomorrow..which is technically today...cyber hugs x100 ?

@Hitchens I'm so glad your symptoms are subsiding - hopefully gone as I write! And sleep. Sleep is platinum. This is way out there, but I thought of you when I read about the recall just announced for Levothyroxine and Liothyronine. "Risk of adulteration" seemed very broad but ominous:

[fda.gov]

Hopefully not, or hopefully an answer.
Extra hugs either way!

@Lauren

Hey there..

Feel human..run did me a lot of good too today.
I seem to be back to myself..I think anyway..
Oh wow..Im gonna read that in a moment...thank you Lauren.

BTW I love that name Lauren.
My two daughters are named Ava after Ava Gardner.. and Lana after Lana Turner..you can guess I love older classic movies
If there was another child and it was a girl..she would have been Lauren...but it was not to be.

Hugs James

Happiness is tied to chemicals being released in the brain, which are released based off of certain triggers. Theoretically if none of those triggers are activated you would not feel happy, therefore happiness requires effort while depression or "down" simply requires a "void" of happiness.

Well today has been a void from Hell...I must have a chemical imbalance of sorts..a nasty drop off of serotonin perhaps.

Cheers.

@Hitchens Anytime, I try to remember this when I'm down. Often there's a reason but usually the reason is more of an excuse to stay down and wallow even though I don't know it. I've got a list of things that make me happy that I tend to go to when I'm low. The easiest one is working out, I get out and take a short jog or even walk for 30 minutes. Dopamine is cheaper than valum.

@mattersauce yea..heavy cyclone forecast tomorrow..great weather for a very quiet beech..I will try to run this fucker out of my system..and yell at the gods that aren't there..whos gonna hear me anyway..

Thanks

I think sigmond Freud have some answers for thease situation

I don't know..he sounds expensive..

no need to spend much you can have a little study about his lectures he says sometimes when we see something it can refer to simiar remembrance in our oncounciusness thats why sometimes we feel down without resoan

Every day. Must be the chemtrails

I thought chemtrails weren't a thing anymore..but you never know..these days..

Cheers.

Very infrequent, but yes.

I'm the same..thats why I'm surprised at my present difficulty..

Cheers.

@Hitchens I sincerely hope it gets better mine generally clears up within hours got better things to do.
Keep On Keepin On

@oldFloyd

Thank you..you are right ..all of this has been very cathartic..and has provided myself and presumably others with an informative and worthwhile distraction..I do believe the worst of it has subsided..

Thanks Floyd..

Never!

Really not ever ever ever?

@Hitchens Believe me, I always know why I'm feeling down and I usually can explain it by starting with, "Why, oh why did that asshole....." If it were just me, I'd never be down! 🙂

@SukiSue

Now that is a fantastic way to be..its almost like the executive part of your brain is almost immune to internalizing issues that may cause low mood etc they are all of external origin..and immediately identified as such..its like you possess or have cultured a type of wired in emotional armour..

Either way it's wonderful.

Thanks Suki

@Hitchens when you've been through as much as I have, nothing phases you anymore for very long. I think health has a lot to do with it too. I try to keep it ultimate.

@SukiSue

Well that's great advice..cheers ?

You mean like right now?

For me it is..which is strange..it will pass..

Yes, frequently.

Yes...

...or for too many reasons as well

This sort of hit me like a freight train..unusual for me...

@Hitchens just try not to get stuck in it too long, but it happens. Do you practice mindfulness? I find that being in the moment, connecting with nature and Yoga help me. Writing too, but if I'm too down writing is not enough. hug

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:155794
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.