Agnostic.com

15 7

Apatheism?

I just came across the term “apatheism”. What do you all think of this? I think it could fit me. It’s labeled as an attitude rather than a belief, claim, or belief system.
The highly esteemed Wikipedia states:
Apatheism is the attitude of apathy towards the existence or nonexistence of gods. It is more of an attitude rather than a belief, claim, or belief system. An apatheist is someone who is not interested in accepting or rejecting any claim that gods exist or do not exist. The existence of God is not rejected but maybe designated as irrelevant. Scientist and philosopher Ian Von Hegner has argued that apatheism is an alternative to positions such as the theism, atheism, and agnosticism with implications that have been overlooked in modern philosophical discussions. Philosopher Trevor Hedberg has called apatheism uncharted territory in the philosophy of religion.

Heart_Truth 7 Aug 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think it's about people who are indifferent to the things that people should know and share with each other in bitlife as well as in life.

Actually, I think the world is full of apatheists, they just don't use the term, and live as if they don't believe in God. I used to call my wife an "agnostic agnostic" because she didn't know if she was really agnostic or not. When I introduced her to the word "apatheist" she said, "That's me!" As for myself, I am an ignostic.

Oh how I miss those days when I just didn't give a shit. I would give my right nut have them back. Maybe both.

Pretty much describes me.

Finally someone gets me !!! Now I am going to have to do some research on Trevor Hedberg, which I have never heard of. Anyhow, that's me. I don't care. Plain and simple, this sentence encapsulates the whole meaning of people like me and perfectly describes where we stand. We don't care. period. End of sentence. There is nothing else to discuss.

I suppose when an apatheist is asked if they believe in God, the answer is, "I don't know, and I don't care."

?

That is exactly right

Just to be clear, I'm not laughing at the idea. I'm laughing because I like it, and it kind of describes me. I have no clue how or why I'm here, and I also feel like I don't even have the time to care about it. I do know that it isn't any of that absurd religious malarkey, though. So it's kind of where I am, really.

Yes, This is me. It is not a relevant question for me.

I agree . It's quite literally immaterial .

Exactamundo!
An apatheist will probably tell you that the answer doesn't matter, so why ask the question.

I think then that I have always been able to use that term but can't be bothered to label myself anything - if anyone asks I tell them I don't do god stuff. if they leave me alone I love it!

I have always been one of those but my real name is Laura

My buddy just introduced me to the term not that long ago, and I must say it describes him pretty well. While he is an atheist on the day to day he just doesn't care enough to be bothered with it. Whereas, I am more of a Capitol A atheist, where I actively follow atheist thinkers, and have been known to argue with religious apologists.

My grandma is also an atheist, or at least non religious, she won't claim the label because "its too much work" so she might be an apatheist too.

That's actually pretty close to my POV. I consider myself am agnostic deist. I'm open to the possibility of a God or Gods designing the universe but if that's the case I don't believe that he or they are involved in the day to day affairs or he/they having any interest in doing so. In other God if he exists couldn't give a damn less about any of us so it makes 0 sense to praise or worship him.

Right, and if you believed that this god or gods might be the force of nature itself you would an agnostic pantheist.

I'm not sure the Wikipedia definition isn't defining atheism. An atheist may or may not be apathetic toward the question, but doesn't find enough evidence (enough of a reason) to pursue a belief in the existence of a theistic entity.
I think maybe what you're (or they're) doing is just assigning a new label to atheists or agnostics who don't care.

To regard the existence of 'God' as irrelevant is highly marginalising the impact that fairy tales have had on a vast majority of people, their choice of life and actions including their wealth.
If you tell me that an organisation can avoid paying taxes by claiming 'to believe' that has a significant impact on my life, enough to call out the idiots.

It is irrelevant to them. Whether it has an impact on anything is irrelevant. Something can affect you or others and still be irrelevant to you. People don't care all the time. People who don't vote are apathetic to politics.They feel they have no control over what happens in politics if only the corrupt get elected or if whoever they elect either doesn't win or sheds their sheep clothing and exposes their wolf interior. They feel the system is fixed and voting is a waste. What control does someone have on whether or not God exists? If God does or doesn't exist, so what? If it exists, it's not known. It's how they feel. Just like you feel how you feel. Both are valid. With all the hoopla, has it changed that religious organizations don't pay taxes? If someone cares about the existence or non-existence of God, will the religious fanatics not harm them? It doesn't mean people won't try to protect themselves from these people and institutions. They just don't care about the issue of God existing or not. I don't care about finding out if Bigfoot exists or not, but if it attacked me I would try to kill it. I'm not saying apathy is the best way to approach a situation, but it's how they feel.

Sounds like being an agnostic who doesn't give a fuck lol

Really just a term for a fuzzy line between existing definitions. A lot of crossover between it and atheism, as well as between it and apathy in general.

godef Level 7 Aug 15, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:156218
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.