Agnostic.com

19 2

Should there be limitations on teaching scientific facts that interfere with religion?

Is there a need to provide a balanced approach to this question or should schools teach science as it known by the facts it has identified?

Marine 8 Aug 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Obviously not.

not need to teach science vs religion. Teach critical thinking and the rest will fall in place.

If you switch the words "religion" and "scientific facts" around then this sentence will make sense.

Religion (as in "Comparitive Religion" ) can certainly be an elective in upper-levels. The idea that there's a ''balanced approach'' is just nonsensical!

Totally agree but devos wants to exclude evolution and replace it with creationism which would leave students with a disadvantage going into college.

@Marine Right! I'm an educator at a major zoo and OFTEN encounter children who have been home-schooled. I just LOVE using the "e" word and teaching them what evolution is and how it works!

Love,
Brenda Bitch

@LucyLoohoo good for you

Nopers.

skado Level 9 Aug 16, 2018

Religious history is fine in schools.

see above

Science is for school religion for home!

I disagree with some here..I think science subjects should be the priority..but subjects like literature and the classics ie Roman & Greek culture etc are still important..myth is myth but knowing and understanding our great mother cultures is still important IMO.

Whoa ! Schools are exactly where science, and lots of other factual subjects need to be !

For the make believe , fantasy, and pedophiles , there are plenty of churches for ...uh... balance.

No. Facts take precedence over mythology.

Deb57 Level 8 Aug 16, 2018

Absolutely not! Teach the facts!

Why would interfering with religion even be a consideration?

See quote above

NO!

Hell no! I do not think we shoudl accommodate those who are afraid of beign proved wrong with facts and truth.

Facts are facts. Why should these be limited. But students need to be aware of the diffference between theory and fact. For instance, the basic tenants of evolution are established fact. But evolutionary theory consists of a massive collection of facts and theory about the details. As should be the case with any good theory, some parts of the theory will prove wrong with further testing. The statement "Darwin was wrong" can be true without the basics being untrue. And some of the stuff in Cosmology and about the origins of life is speculative. Might be right or wrong without discrediting science as a discipline.

Science is science. Religion is not science. And religion is not even remotely related to science.

Is this a trick question? There should never be a limit put on teaching scientific facts.....if it interferes with, or more correctly contradicts religion, well and good!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:156674
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.