Agnostic.com

7 7

LINK Evolution timeframes get a rethink after scientists take a closer look at Earth's first animals

Rethinking animal evolution

Uniting these members of the Ediacaran biota and Stromatoveris psygmoglena in a single group of animals has major implications for animal origins. In light of this new evidence, some older ideas on early animal evolution may need to be revised.

Because members of the Ediacaran biota can now be classed as animals, we can date the origin of the animal kingdom to at least the time when these fossils appeared. The oldest members of these groups are known as “rangeomorphs” and appear in the fossil record approximately 571m years ago, in the late Ediacaran Period.
The front view of a rangeomorph fossil, the oldest of the Ediacaran biota. Jennifer Hoyal Cuthill, Author provided

This means that animal species were diversifying well before the Cambrian explosion. It may also mean that the search for animal origins should now focus on the time before this, in the early Ediacaran and even more ancient geological periods. Based on this, animals may have originated much earlier than the traditional reading of the fossil record had suggested.

zblaze 7 Aug 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm still baffled about the millions of years between the different dinosaur groups. Cretaceous Jurassic Triassic Mesozoic.

Dinosaurs lived for millions of years here.
Us. Only a couple hundred thousand. Amazing.

I am still baffled about the existence of the dinosaurs, period. ...let us call a spade, a spade, I am in denial.

the fossil records continue to educate and enlighten....
I obviously need to catch up on some reading!

Given the nature of science, the care that scientists take to not overstate things, and the sequential way in which scientific discoveries are made, we should expect that proposed earliest dates for this or that would get pushed back in time. That being said, the work of the discoverers is to be lauded and celebrated. It takes a lot of effort by a lot of people to accumulate the data that necessitates the re-writing of textbooks. As for this particular case, I think I can get used to the idea that the first animals may have appeared a few tens of millions of years earlier than recently thought. Its like a bit of intellectual chocolate: tasty, stimulating, and sweet! ?

In a world that's constantly changing.

Cool post! Thanks.

Whew, a lot of that was over my head, but it's still fascinating.

godef Level 7 Aug 17, 2018

LOL Mine too.

I admire your integrity. And courage.

Just as I’ve been saying all along. Ha ha. I get double points 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:157016
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.