Agnostic.com

5 2

Assuming you're an apostate, how often does someone attempt to "reconvert" you?

So far, I've only had one sister offer to share her personal anecdote filtered through biases to arrive back at a presupposition because cherry picked instances say so. Others have decided to stay back because they're where I was for most of the last decade with "I have nothing that would convince others that what I believe is true so I'll just shut up for the most part unless specifically asked." The next step which I eventually came to was "If I can't convince anyone else, could I even convince myself and should this be convincing to me?"

ApostasyS 4 Oct 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My mother tries to get me back into the Jesus camp. Usually just around Christmas or occasionally on her birthday or Mother's Day (as a gift to her!)

Because it would just mean so much if you could swear your undying allegiance to the invisible friends. For mama. Oi.

I was raised to be Mormon. The Mormon church keeps you in their records and they keep track of your whereabouts a lot more than made me comfortable. Almost every time I moved within a coupel of months someone would show up at my door, but usually only once per relocation.

They say you can have your name "removed from the records" by request, but it isnt' easy. Even after i told them I was gay and did nto want anything to do with the church and wanted my name removed it still took over ten years for them to finally do it. You see, by keeping names ont eh record and not counting the attrition, they can make it look like their church is growing, when in fact it is at best holdign a steady membership;

So finally, they told me I had to write a letter, specifically stating why I wanted my name removed. So, I had gotten tired of dealing with them so I really exaggerated the truth, and a few months later they sent me a notice that I had been excommunicated. I was so please3d about it that I though about to framing the letter, as it was an accomplishment tht required a great deal of effort. However, I decided instead that i did not want a daily reminder of the church hanging on my wall.

When i lived alone, I imagined answering the door naked (I am also a naturist) to put off any missionaries or local churches tryign to invade my life.

I once made the mistake of mentioning to some door knockers I as raised Mormon, and they thought they had won half the battle because i left that church and so they thought I'd want to go to theirs. Now, when I find churchies at my door, I just say, "I have no interest in organized religion" and they go away.

Goddamn, that sucks. I wonder if telling them "I'm changing my name to 'fuck the mormon church'." would get them to back the fuck off.

My mother attempts to get me to go to church about every other week.

BD66 Level 8 Oct 16, 2017

Personally I don't like the term apostate it has a negative meaning, I prefer the term the awakened, those who try to "revert" me get ridicule as their reward for they are the deluded sheep of the world.

Never.

SamL Level 7 Oct 16, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1572
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.