Agnostic.com

7 3

QUESTION Catholic Priests May Have Fathered (and Abandoned) Thousands of Children – Friendly Atheist

“I’m doing this to highlight that there are thousands of children of priests around the world and no-one knows about them,” she says. “They are powerless and they’re at the mercy of this institution and that’s just not right.”

Through her mentoring work with Coping International and her PhD research Sarah now knows about 100 people who have been fathered by priests, from countries all over the world, but believes there are thousands more out there. She says it’s striking that there are so many common features to their experiences.

zblaze 7 Jan 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do believe this happens and that is a shame....all these kids born out of wedlock, not knowing their dads

Restricting sex between consenting adults - generally a very bad idea often with unintended consequences. #IStandWithPP

My grandmother told me the story of a convent in San Juan that when got demolished... many baby skulls were found. She grew up a child in San Juan, so if the flesh is weak, nuns are not exempted.

someone else just posted about a similar situation in Ireland. I scanned the article but saw a video about the same situation. The nuns were selling the children (adoption fees) or burying the ones that died there in a mass grave

We recently had a post on this based on the United Kingdom. Women were dating priest candidates in college, getting pregnant then dumped by the priests. The Church paid child support to these women and their children.

This isn't remotely surprising. Sickening and sad, but not surprising.

So sad. Perhaps this new "progressive" pope of theirs will remove the requirement for celibacy. That might help.

I reckon since the 12 apostles that's been happening.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15744
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.