Agnostic.com

14 3

Do you like to cook?

We all have to eat to live, but, do you open a can, take a package out of the freezer, cook from a recipe or do you create food from your mind; blending flavours. textures, spices with fresh and unique combinations in a sensual explosion of culinary delight? I make a breakfast wrap with between 43 and 46 ingredients depending what is in season what do you cook?

HeathenFarmer 8 Oct 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I learned to cook at home, but really experimented at college. This is my favourite - Evil Soup. The name might appeal to this community. It's coming up to winter now, and the cold and 'flu viruses will be gathering. It is a favourite weekend pick-me-up for both helping prevent infection and recovering from it. Only four necessary ingredients, plus anything else lying around in the vegetable rack or fridge that you fancy. Start with some oil or butter, add a large shredded piece of ginger, at least 6 large chopped cloves of garlic, and a couple of hot chillis (seeds in). Add other vegetables to suit (I like celery, corn, potatoes, carrots), add some stock / hot water, and any spices you like. Crumble in a block of ramen noodles if hungry. It's important not to measure anything, just add until it looks tasty. Simmer for 5 minutes and serve. For extra evil add a dash of balsamic vinegar and soy sauce. The important part is inhaling the evil, before eating. The ingredients also repel others in the house, so avoiding spreading infections. The name comes from the hot, spicy taste. Different every time, but always effective.

I make something similar; I start with chicken broth add chicken, onions, garlic, carrots, rice or potatoes, maybe some cayenne pepper or Cajun spice, and bar-b-que sauce. This is my go to when I a cold is starting. I’ll keep the balsamic vinegar and soy sauce in mind.

I cook more from scratch now and also more plant based because of cancer and diabetes. Now I eat to live rather than living to eat. Every food has its reason as well as herbs and spices.

I make a main meal once every 2 weeks, divide it up and throw it in the freezer. Take out and eat when the mood hits me along with TV dinners for a variety. I do make a good breakfast Sunday mornings. I absolutely hate to cook.

I love to eat, so I learned to cook. I usually stick to easy things, few ingredients and few steps. I tend to modify recipes. I’ve learned that the crock pot is my friend. Come home from work and supper is done, with left overs!

CS60 Level 7 Oct 20, 2017

Crock pot are convinent but, never been a great fan every thing done in them tends to become stew but, they do cook a good stew.

I’ve had trash can turkey, it was tasty and moist. It is made in a clean 10 gallon metal trash can with charcoal.

its fun but im not too good at it

Having fun while doing it is a very important thing maybe even the most important.

I not only love to cook but insist upon making my own meals and avoid eating out whenever possible which is just about always. I live by myself and on a tight budget determined by a small retirement pension that is my only income. But I eat like a king. The secret is knowing how to cook with the most inexpensive of ingredients. I prowl supermarkets for their loss leaders on real food and ignore the convenience foods that are never cheap at any price. First stop is always the produce section. I go through enough onions to satisfy many restaurants and buy in bulk for the cheaper price. Other aromatic veggies like carrots and celery are also a must. From there it is all about season and price. Potatoes are a staple and very versatile. And I honor the difference between a boiling or waxy potato and a baking or mashing one. The most versatile are the yellow varieties but they are usually more expensive. In season I stock up on broccoli and cauliflower as default side dishes along with baby carrots, rainbow colored if possible. Cabbage is a great extender and delicious shredded and stirred into fried potatoes with multi-colored peppers and onions. Greens are essential and spinach is my favorite. Buy in the 16 oz. containers and save over the smaller bags. When I make chicken soup I like to fill a bistro bowl with fresh baby spinach and ladle the hot soup over it so that it wilts perfectly without losing its nutritional value. I keep a lot of seasonal fresh fruits around and often have a large container of fruit salad in the fridge. Melons in the summer and citrus in the winter make the foundations augmented with whatever else I can find like grapes, kiwi, berries, bananas, etc. I eat lots of soups all homemade and make stocks out of veggie scraps, chicken bones and, occasionally a ham bone or hocks. These are great starters for an innumerable combination of ingredients for soups enhanced with root vegetables like turnips and parsnips, corn, tomatoes and a multitude of beans, canned or dried. I aim at salt-free for any canned goods and use lots of garlic, black pepper and leaf herbs for flavor. One reason I avoid eating out is that I am so sensitive to the taste of salt that everything tastes too salty because it is. It is increasingly difficult to buy inexpensive meat but, happily, whole body fryers are often on sale along with the tougher cuts of beef like round steak. The effect of so many lazy people not cooking is that everything ends up in the grinder and sold for double the price as hamburger but you can still find a good pot roast and stew meat. I remember as a kid that my mother wouldn't buy ground meat unless she saw it being ground. She would pick out a round or top sirloin steak and stand there while the butcher ground it for her. Good luck with that these days. Ground meat scares me because I know it is adulterated with a slurry of animal by-products and cannot be trusted to live up to its labeling. But a food processor works well when I want to make chili or a Salisbury steak. Eggs are inexpensive and one of the most versatile of all foods. I make omelets 3-4 times a week in the morning with green onions, peppers, spinach, tomatoes, cheese and whatever left overs I might have laying around. Nothing beats a soufflé made with gruyere cheese for supper with a green salad and maybe some crusty bake-it-yourself loaf. I use a lot of dairy like milk of various butterfat contents, whole for cooking and 1% for drinking. Sour cream and butter are indispensable and I sometimes splurge on cream. After shopping the peripheries of the store, produce, meat and dairy I venture into the vast no man's land of the interior aisles for a few staples like pasta, canned beans and tomatoes, baking needs and not much else. I might buy a few frozen vegetables like peas, leeks or limas but otherwise I am through. Off to the checkout stand and home to start creating.

Your comment makes me hungry reading it. I know exactly what you are saying about ground meat. I sell a lot of it, the difference is that it is from m own animals and processed to my standards In a tightly inspected plant by people I trust. My customer love it once they try it even those that have sworn off of hamburger.

Cook on brother!

All of the above. I also make my own muffin/breads that I create from scratch.

I love to cook. I try to experiment and google recipe ideas that just come to me. Basically, it's trial and error when it comes to cooking with me.

Thats the best kind of cooking, jump in with both hands and experiment.

I don't think I'll ever cook anything with more than 40 ingredients but whoever eats breakfast with you is very lucky 🙂 so I guess I don't really like cooking but I do like doing dishes 🙂

Your invited, I hate dishes, I run everything through the dishwasher sometimes 3 times.

In the last few days I made sour pickles, NY style onion sauce for hot dogs, marinara sauce, ricotta cheese cake, and cranberry/blueberry compote.

Ricotte chees cake that sounds interesting never heard of it before.

Very Italian and lighter than one made with cream cheese.

I know how to cook, but I only actually enjoy cooking every once in a great while.

My mother was a poor cook. She didn't teach me anything. I took Home-Ec in high school to learn the basics of how to cook... mostly because I wanted to get out my parents household which was just way too religious. To me learnign to cook ws a way to prepare myself to get free.

Means to an end then?

I'm a microwave, slap sandwiches together, and take out kind of guy since I live in college. I've never used the kitchen in my dorm.

A word of advice from an old dog to a young one: women love to be cook for worked for me many times. So, learn how to.

I cook because I have to. Not for a family but just myself. When I'm actually doing it, I really don't mind it at all. It gives my a chance to work with my hands, which I've always enjoyed. I look up healthy, simple and easy recipes, that always turn out pretty well. Bonus, I get to Eat a fresh homemade meal!
If want to know any easy and simply recipes, message me.

RJAU Level 4 Oct 16, 2017

I cook from my head so really don't have any recipes, sorry.

If it's just me I don't mind eating a frozen pizza, but I add a bunch of stuff to it. Sliced mushrooms, sliced mild, red, yellow, and orange peppers, sometimes a little onion if I have one, Pensey's pizza flavoring, and grated four cheese on top of all of that to hold it together.

Other times I'll make something from scratch. I had a job as a cook in high school so I'm not totally unfamiliar with a kitchen.

My mother taught me to cook said she didn't need the first women I met getting hold of me because i had to eat.

You have a wise mother. lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1585
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.