Agnostic.com

12 15

Misleading the public about wildfire smoke and falling ash

Wenatchee, WA air quality has been rated "extremely unhealthy/hazardous" at 374 ppm caused by heavy wildfire smoke and falling ash for the past three weeks.

"Widespread haze" and "hazy" are misleading terms used by radio stations, newspapers, National Public Radio and NOAA weather reports.

"Haze" makes it sound like soft, marine air.

For public health, news outlets must be clear and accurate. This is wildfire smoke and falling ash.

I sent emails to newspapers, radio stations and the NOAA, asking them to use accurate terms.

Wondering if the current EPA administrator is insisting on the word, "haze." Trump's EPA has banned the term, "air pollution."

[wasmoke.blogspot.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hazy all day here on the islands. The red sun looks neat, though. It's supposed to hit a miserable 80 degrees by Wed. (it is miserable for us). Maybe the haze will cool things down a bit.

You sound optimistic. I suppose that's all one can do : (

@freeofgod Not really. It is what and how it has been. We are trapped between British Columbia and California/Oregon and the winds put us in the middle.

@JackPedigo , optimistic was an over-statement. Resigned would have been a better word. I tend to get angry and start emailing my senators. Not that it does any demonstrably good but it's a harmless way to vent.

@freeofgod I could do the same but my legislators are all Democrats (both senators are women) and understand the issues.

@JackPedigo , lucky you. Ky is a joke with McConnell and Paul at the helm.

@freeofgod This is a very progressive part of a W. coast state. This part of the country is naturally liberal. Washington is the most trade dependent state and trade and global interactions (not to mention an environment that is worth protecting) makes a place progressive.

A terrible year for wildfires. Here in northern NM we've been plagued by smoke all summer. First from our own fires, then the fires just over the border in Colorado and now the California fires.

Dew25 Level 7 Aug 19, 2018

Wildfire smoke is worse today in Wenatchee: 433 ppm at noon on 8/19/2018.

@Bendog

It would be gray. Can't see trees across the street or Cascade foothills: things I normally see.

@Bendog

The picture in this Wenatchee World story was taken a few days ago. Visibility is much worse now.

[wenatcheeworld.com]

"We're Choking on Smoke in Seattle" - New York Times

[nytimes.com]

It is "Hazy" in ND today. Walking around outside for a few minutes leaves your hands smelling like you have been tending a wood fire. SARCASM ALERT: Today is a pleasantly hazy day.

@Bendog

Salmon would be covered with gray ash.

@LiterateHiker Not a lot of ash here just the finest smoke that makes your eyes burn.

Bad here in MT, too. Last summer was worse, I think: there were a few weeks of such dim, filtered light that I was sluggish and out of it, never fully awake (I'm somewhat sensitive to sunlight, too little or too much). That happened much earlier in the summer.

This year it's been just recently that it's gotten bad. The sky is flat white. The sunlight (whenever it's strong enough) is orange. Every so often there's a whiff of woodsmoke about. My sinuses feel tingly today. 😟

EXactly!! Visibility is for shit and people here in the complex are 'well the weather report says hazy sun' and go out without i mask. The postmail had a mask on yesterday.

Don't even get me started on the efforts to contain and put these fires out. grrrrrrrrrrrrr

@craycraycatty The one I use sometimes has an air quality alert. But I go by the air qualtiy index the EPA has and my eyes-I can see it's bad. lol
Want to know what the weather is? Go out side. Long term I like the accuweather site.

@Bendog something like that - I prefer to not look, it's so depressing. I focus away from the windows. My view is great when there is no smoke.

@silverotter11, you're not the only one with smoke problems.

I am well aware how bad the whole west coast is right now. But don't worry there's no global warming, the scientific proof is all a Chinese conspiracy - I need a tongue in cheek emoji.

@silverotter11, where I am (Long Beach) seems to be the only place on the west coast with decent air right now. We've had enough smoke here that I know what you are going through. Take care of yourself.

British Columbia is fighting over 500 wildfires set by lightning. Wenatchee is surrounded by five or seven wildfires within 1-1/2 hours of driving.

From the Wenatchee World newspaper:

[wenatcheeworld.com]

Air Quality Index Smoke Reports:

For Wenatchee, WA:

[aqicn.org]

Washington State:

[fortress.wa.gov]

National: Where's the Fire?

[wasmoke.blogspot.com]

With adult-onset asthma, I have to wear a Gerson 2130 N-95 Respirator mask outdoors with wildfire smoke. I feel trapped like a wild animal. Cannot hike or run in this smoke.

"Garcon, I didn't order this!" I said when my doctor diagnosed asthma at age 40.

"Being born prematurely increased your chance of developing adult-onset asthma by 36%", she said.

I know what you mean about being trapped - Perfect morning temps for bicycle rides and the smoke and haze keep me stuck inside - 2nd year in a row for bad wildfires. grrrrr

Put a new air filter in your car drive it for a week and then send it to them. People don't come with air filters.

It’s bad in California too...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:158918
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.