Agnostic.com

28 4

Prayers at meetings

Religion in my African society as someone explained to me is more cultural than a statement of faith. I belong to an organization, a 501c-type group that wants to pray at the beginning and the end of all meetings. It is becoming increasingly uncomfortable for me to participate and I brought up the issue once. They put it to a vote (how nice!), and of course, you know how it ended. Has anyone been in a similar situation? What arguments can I advance to them?

Ownyrvoice 5 Aug 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments (26 - 28)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Suggest a few moments of silence, where you can choose to pray, or not, during that time. People pray in different ways according to their religion, or lack there of and some may feel alienated at a time when they should feel closer to their own deity.

I was at a couple of teamster meetings a few years ago. They were trying to sell the union to our company. At the end of a meeting, they have everyone hold hands in a circle and say a prayer. I stayed out of it the first time. The second meeting was so rabble rousing that I got caught into it. At the end, I joined the circle and said the prayer. Looking back, I think about how easy it is to manipulate and get manipulated. I am more proud of myself for staying out of it.

MrDMC Level 7 Aug 20, 2018

Do what you feel comfortable with. Step out during prayer, stay but don't pray, or pray. I usually stay and not pray, unless it's a new religion but then I am participating for the cultural experience and knowledge.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:159392
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.