Agnostic.com

19 4

What persuasive techniques have worked for you?

This morning, I convinced my women's hiking group to switch from Tuesday, for the first time in four years. Started my plea with a joking exaggeration, not far the truth:

"White-knuckling my asthma inhaler, the only day I can hike is Thursday, when we have clear skies. Instead of tomorrow, can we hike on Thursday?

Weather forecast for Stevens Pass:

[forecast.weather.gov]

Weather forecast for Wenatchee:

[forecast.weather.gov]

It worked.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Here is a thought: why do we not all become VULCANS! No emotional crappo about every single little thing and learn to think logically!!! I took a logic course my freshman(notice the man in freshman! these personal pronouns) and was infuriated that no one had taught that to me in that stupid high school we all attended!! Or a course in LATIN! so we can understand latin words since most of our language is Latin based, as anyone worked in medicine???You best know prefixes and suffixes if you wish to survive and I use to teach them until written up for misbehaving, yes misbehaving trying to teach kids about prefixes and suffixes!! Just rec. this little ad: God Warns Christians! Christian doctor uncovers a startling warning from God ... and you won't believe what happens next. And the picture they use of Jesus resembles one of the Jonas brothers!!!! Wonder if he knows they photoshoped his face for Jesus??? Now open for comments! Hope your thumbs are not too tired???

Asking nicely goes a long way with me.

Personally, I have found that public floggings and humiliation work best.

I concur! I wrote a post that shaming is a very effective method if we would only use it, the English are masters at it! If someone walks by that they do not like or did something, so they would refuse to look at you, turn their backs on you and blackball you at your club. Shaming is so effective!! If certain people would stop giving facetime to certain people and refuse to record them, video them or show up at all, but they love it too much themselves, so shame them for being so lousy at their jobs these new journalists,stop giving face time to people who misbehave, I used this method in teaching, if you are not going to obey the laws, do not care if you do not want to learn or do anything but do not interrupt the class, so would send them to the back of the class facing the wall, then none of us has to see them, and if this did not work then I would sit next to them every single day in class since they wanted my attention so much, and keep teaching while sitting very close to them, which would annoy them, so start acting better and this will stop or not the choice is yours, never did any good to call or talk to their parents, that is how they got that way! He is not talking about S&M, actually public floggings were quite effective, and if we are going to punish people should it not be public? If they keep insisting on using the death penalty then it should be make public, if we are going to do such things then make it public! Nothing like public burnings!!! AT least they made them public and not in secret, which would you prefer, public or private?

My gut feeling is to go with the floggings/humiliation route. It definitely works and is rooted in psychological mechanics going back to caveman days. In extreme cases, where we are dealing with treason against the USA, I prefer the guillotine. Leave it to the French to devise such an efficient, elegant, environmentally friendly and entertaining way to dispatch traitors. And you want to see some behavioral changes in potential traitors?

It's not easy for me me to be persuasive, but I'm finding that being patient and kind while still being persistent and assertive seems to go a long way.

Presenting my idea/ inclination/ desire accompanied with treats (chocolate/ candy bars) lol

Reason presented in a convincing and open manner often works. Emotion often complicates issues.

The air is getting worse. There was an awards ceremony (for youth) and it was supposed to be at a waterfront park. Due to the 'haze' it was held inside our resort.

Making people think, or pretend, it was their idea. And then praise them for it in front of others. Very persuasive. I work for a lunatic and am constantly managing upwards, this is how I learned to hone this skill.
Help people out...it becomes harder for them to turn you down when you need something.
Also, prediction is a good one. If you can anticipate their reactions, you can put in place multiple contingencies or block their paths.
It sounds like I am Machiavellian, but actually it allows me to protect my organization and it’s people from a boss who resembles Trump. I need to problem solve before the problem has happened and I need to win people over, so that they help me out of shitty situations.
I only behave like this at my workplace and never in friendships or relationships - everything is very compartmented.

Livia Level 6 Aug 20, 2018

@Livia

Thank you for your thoughtful and wise reply. Bravo!

Negotiation and problem-solving are wonderful skills to have. I feel proud of you.

@LiterateHiker Wow! Thank you! ?

An artist, my ex-husband is stubborn. When I was pregnant, we couldn't agree on our baby's name. I wanted "Claire"- it means "clear and bright" in French. Terry wanted "Phoebe". Over my dead body.

I typed Claire Elisabeth in Helvetica italic script, bold, 16 pt. Taped it on the refrigerator at Terry's eye level. Said nothing.

"Kathleen, I've been thinking about the name, 'Claire Elisabeth,'" Terry said two months later.

Claire Elisabeth is our daughter's name. I never told him.

That is hilarious- Phoebe! Just no! It sounds like Enema! Something biological and gross.
Very subliminal.

@Livia

"I would have hated the name, 'Phoebe,'" Claire said.

Eastern Phoebe is a songbird.

[audubon.org]

@LiterateHiker I was going to be called β€œOctavia” and my sister was going to be called β€œFanny”. Dad’s choices...

With my rock climbing group I will usually say "I'm up for (the usual) but if anybody would like to do (some alternative that I would like) I'll do that too".

Begging, pleading, and groveling.

@Sticks48

Hilarious!

Guys, your comments show why I originally titled this post, "What gentle persuasive techniques have worked for you?"

But I thought the word "gentle" would stop men from replying. So far, men have suggested a cudgel, a hammer, and "carry a big stick."

What gentle persuasive techniques have worked for you?

I have found that uttering the phrase 'Grog have hammer. Do it Grog's way!' tends to be effective. πŸ˜›

I have found that money can be a great Persuader

Just out of curiosity do you find these weather reports to be accurate? Living in Astoria I find the predictions for weather not to be accurate, It is more like they are taking what is happening in Portland and Newport and average it out.

I thought that you injured your foot. Are you healed as already,?

@Bhudda

"Don't do anything that hurts your foot," the podiatrist said.

I asked my hiking partners to choose a hike that isn't extremely steep. Descending pushes the injured top of my foot against the boot. It hurts.

I can always turn around if it's too painful.

Bribes or black mail is effective. Then there are graphic threats. I generally do not like hiring muscle to effect change. These techniques were acquired during my tenure in the CIA. As a civilian I wouldn't suggest these techniques unless your buddy is in the White House. Then you can count on a pardon.

The weather gods will make it rain whenever they want. Now I know why you were making bread, appeasing the gods. Hope it works.

I've found the truth to be rather persuasive. The truth did set me free, from religion.

"The truth is not the truth". I have this from America's mayor

I find cudgels are quite effective.
πŸ˜€

That’s why I began practicing staff spinning. Speak softly and carry a big stick.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:159975
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.