Agnostic.com

14 4

I made a HUGE vat of my notoriously not fat free, not vegetarian everything potato soup today! It's comfort food and it's COLD outside, so don't judge me. My kid is sitting on the sofa playing video games, and he looks 5 months pregnant with his belly all pooched out from eating. He would eat like this everyday if I let him, but I try to only indulge this sort of mass quantity cooking when the weather warrants it. What is your easy, go-to comfort food for really cold weather? It is looking like climate change is going to make these extremes more common going forward, and I need to get together enough recipes that we don't get bored with the same soups and stews over and over again!

MsOliver 7 Jan 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do love potato soup, but my go-to soup is creamy tomato with roasted red peppers. I prefer adding some Pepper Jack cheese, but a mix of cheddar and Monterey Jack will do. And, then topped off with some crumbled up Ritz, or Club, crackers. Btw...in my opinion, clams ruin a perfectly good potato soup 🙂.

I am Vegan, just look into it plenty of very tasty heartwarming food still available. I would recommend 'forks over knives' but many major chains are getting cool with this now!

Grilled cheese, Tomato soup. `Nuff said 😉

Gumbo! ...
Shrimp, sausage, chicken gumbo
One average large pot of gumbo

1. Mushrooms (1 cup sliced)
  2. Celery (3 cups chopped)
  3. Green onions (1 cup chopped)
  4. Purple onions (1 cup chopped)
  5. Yellow onions (2 cup chopped)
  6. Garlic (1 tablspoon crushed)
  7. Any jar of gumbo base (roux) mix (3/4 jar)
  8. Kitchen Bouquet Browning and seasoning sauce (2 tablespoons)
  9. Zaterains pure ground file (1 tablespoon). Sprinkle and stir in.
  10. Zaterains crab/shrimp season oil. (5 drops). To much hurts the gumbo.
  11. Zaterains seasoning salt (1/2 tablespoon), (cautiously add to taste)
  12. (Optional) Hickory salt, (pinch) for flavor
  13. Your favorite spicey sausage (3 cups sliced)
  14. (Pre grilled cooked) smoked chicken. Dark meat works better. (3 cups 3/4"Chunks)
  15. Uncooked medium and large shrimp (3 pounds)
  16. Okra (1/2 cup)
  17. 1 3/4 gallons of water.

In a Large pot:

1. Boil 1 3/4 gallons water, add season oil.
  2. Stur in 3/4 jar of gumbo base (roux).
    (Soften roux jar in hot water to help stir the flour and oil together before stirring in to boiling water.)
  3. Add season salt and (optional - hickory salt)
  4. Add browning sauce
  5. Add sausage, cook for 10 mins.
  6. Add garlic and all the vegetables and low cook down for 15 minutes. It may seem like a lot of vegetables, but it ain't.
  7. Add chicken and low cook for 10 mins.
  8. Add shrimp and low cook for 10 minutes.
  9. Add more season salt to taste.
  10. Add ground file (fe-lay) very low cook.
  11. Add extra gumbo base (roux) and browning sauce as needed for thickening and color. Add small amount of fe-lay if needed for thickening and taste if needed. Your looking for a dark, lightly thick gumbo juice.

Its a little play it by ear on this. I just start throwing it all together with no real recipe directions...lol. i think this might be a good start and you can fine tune as you go.

This is suppose to be a shrimp gumbo with a little sausage and chicken to add substance and character... lol.

@MsOliver. I'm getting real close...lol.

@MsOliver. I leave okra out for my wife... lol.

@MsOliver ...... your probably right on the okra. Most older people burn some flour in a black iron pot and then add water to it. They go with chicken or shrimp or sausage. Or all three. Susie was force fed okra as a child. It makes her sick. I add some when im cooking for my friends. Burn the flour and add some burned onions. Bay leaves adds to the taste and smell but don't eat them. The smell is amazing. It's almost a then gravy when I make it. Just add some cooked rice to your bowl and put the gumbo on top. It's actually a poormans soup but its an awesome treat on a cold day.

My ex-wife made this one thing that was a family recipe that I don't have, but I really miss. She called it "Mellouheah" or some such(Sephardic Jewish/Israeli/Egyptian family) and it was just basically chicken, garlic and spinach in a soup. She used to make a giant pot of it and we never froze any. I can eat it every meal for at least 6 days. Spinach is my favorite vegetable and garlic may be second.

I think I am going to try a modification of this recipe I just found online over the weekend. In hers, the chicken was chunks and there was no rice, so I'm going to do that but try this spice blend
[foodandwine.com]

Red and/or white chili, no real recipe, I just look it up and wing it...Mississippi crockpot potroast (sear both sides of roast, put in crockpot, one stick of butter on top, one packet onion soup mix, one packet ranch dressing mix and about 6-8 pepperoncinis. Low for 6-8 hrs. (You can add potatoes I suppose and a veggie. I dont, because my kids are snobby) )

I think that in the cold weather there is nothing better than a bowl of hot soup that contains everything but the kitchen sink. I recall the piping hot vapor and the aroma of freshly cooked vegetables that wafted from a bowl of soup on a cold winter day.

All my best recipes take all day to prepare. I'm the only one crazy enough to put that
kind of time in.

I am experimenting with oxtail soup variations. talk about a long time to cook but not prep time

@btroje Most of mine just have a lot of prep time. Caramelizing onions takes longer than anything else.

Try some crockpot recipes..
It may take all night or all day , but a real quick prep time and you just wait.
Great for stuffedpeppers, soups, stews, spaghetti...etc etc

@Buddha I know what you're saying. I don't own a crock pot right now. And the stuff I make has multiple components. Other than my chili, I can't think of a single one that I could do in a crock pot.

@KKGator yeah i just did that to onions and a head of cabbage

I love potato soup and made some myself last weekend. I also make an excellent beef vegetable stew too. I have some really good recipes for crop pot chicken noodle soup, chicken gnocchi soup, and corn chowder.

sounds really nice yum yum

Tomato Bisque.

Two cans diced tomatoes, juice included.
A cup of milk or 1/2 and 1/2.
Thyme, pepper, oregano, and maple syrup to taste.

I boil it all together. Smashing the tomatoes even more.

Yum! With a grilled cheese.

Or Easy Stroganoff.

Pound of ground beef, cooked with pepper, onions, and mushrooms.
Can of cream of mushroom soup.
One square cream cheese.
One pound cooked pasta (I like corkscrews).

Mix all together, until melted.

Yum!

Mac and cheese

My winter warmer dish has got to be Sausage and mash with onion gravy, traditional British dish served in mass quantities until you can't move and are forced to sleep.

Dav87 Level 6 Jan 17, 2018

perfect for a dark cloudy day

I made spaghetti sauce over the weekend. Use for french bread pizza.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16074
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.