Agnostic.com

31 2

Are you a fixer?

Fixers are people who constantly want to fix other people.
It can be mild or obsessive.

Many men are fixers in relationships. Their spouse comes home to vent about something at work and they jump in with advice on how to fix the problem rather than just listening.

Do you find yourself offer solutions to problems more than just empathizing or listening?

Do you do it without realizing you do it?

If you aren't, do you know someone who is? If so, how do you feel about their attempt to "fix" everything.

Crimson67 8 Jan 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I used to be a fixer and then realized how annoying it it when it's done to me. So now I listen, empathise and if asked for input I give it.

I am most definitely a fixer, but it's stuff not people. Rarely do I ever tell people how to live their lives, but mention something you have doesn't work, and you will probably hear from me.

I have heard similar. They say when you talk to a man it is like discussing a problem to fix it. So if you don't want it fixed keep it to yourself? Their response being if you come to me with your problems and you don't want to listen to solutions, sod off.

After years of rows, they develop a technique of half listening and saying platitudes while continuing to read the paper or watch TV. She retorts with "You are not listening and you don't care", because he does not offer or try to fix it.

The really experienced and wise man resigns himself to never being in the right and always in the wrong. Prompting him to build a man cave or shed at the bottom of the garden where he can stay happily married.

@Akfishlady I totally agree. It would make it so much easier for men of low emotional IQ if people who just wanted to sound off prefaced their monologue with "Shut up and Just Listen!! I don't want to have your opinion or solution." Saves the emotionally challenged man misreading body language and other non spoken clues. Then the sympathetic nodding and grunting routine can be started.

depends on the person and the problem and I do like to help but I generally wait to be asked.

its my tendency/instinct to try, but ive learned to wait and see if any fixing is requested or just my ear. tricky sometimes. i kinda ask permission to help these days. I wouldn't say fixing folks tho. thats not in my bag of tricks.

Nope. I'm a firm believer in "fix it your damn self!"

No teas and sympathy?

@Treasurehunter That's completely different. Being sympathetic and listening to someone work through their process is totally different than trying to "fix" anything for anyone.

@KKGator Oh right. I have misread what you wrote, I thought it looked a little like"Bugger off, fix it your damn self".

@Treasurehunter Well, depending on who it is, and whether they're constantly looking for someone to fix their problems, it could very well be a "bugger off". I generally don't associate with people like that though. I don't have the patience.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16077
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.