Agnostic.com

31 2

Are you a fixer?

Fixers are people who constantly want to fix other people.
It can be mild or obsessive.

Many men are fixers in relationships. Their spouse comes home to vent about something at work and they jump in with advice on how to fix the problem rather than just listening.

Do you find yourself offer solutions to problems more than just empathizing or listening?

Do you do it without realizing you do it?

If you aren't, do you know someone who is? If so, how do you feel about their attempt to "fix" everything.

Crimson67 8 Jan 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've been recognized by many as an Empath. I feel like no one should change, but there's also the "only place you can go is up" Everyone comes into your life for a reason. my advice is like word vomit. It always comes out without asking

Men are natural fixers, for the post part, the good ones anyway.
At this point I'm too independent.

I am totally guilty of being a fixer. The excitement of finding a problem to solve totally overwhelms my sense of empathy. It doesn't happen with those seeking relationship advice because I'm totally clueless in that arena. It's more usual in my role as a customer representative.

There is this relationship with this woman I respect a lot. 17 years at least... not together last 8 or so... I had moved to another state... stopped calling her. Maybe for 4-6 months but one day she called me her brother had died. I met her brother last time I saw her. How could I not try to fix her pain? So I am still her computer support. Her companion if I am in the state. Her friend date of choice... her shoulder to cry. And normally I am the one pissing her off... but this New Year's Eve she pissed me off so bad that my blood boiled and I wasn't wearing a coat and it was cold... and yes... she said... You are so mad right now that you are not even wearing a coat and is freezing... a different man I don't know what would had happened... I just looked at her and smiling I said yes. My blood went back to normal. Sometimes she is the one Fixing me.

Ha! Absolutely not.
I thought I was for 35 years but finally had to admit to myself that all my "fixing" other people's problems ever did was leave me with my own big fat mess to clean up. And cleaning big fat messes up while crying uncontrollably SUCKS.

"Help someone when they are in trouble and they'll just remember you when they're in trouble again"

It's been tough stepping out of those habits but I really am working hard towards it

I say this about 200 times a day-
"NOT MY FUCKING PROBLEM"
One day I intend to believe it.

Yep definitely a fixer. It's what I do with people I care about. I try not to be too overwhelming with it but sometimes I'm just like "the solution is literally RIGHT THERE" lol.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16077
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.