Agnostic.com

13 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I feel that if you're against "cultural appropriation" then you are for segregation.

@Hellbent You notice I put cultural appropriation in quotations because a lot of people call it that in the wrong situation. If you don't want people sharing your culture then it's akin to segregation. You're telling those outside your culture that it's hands off and not allowed and that it's not for them and only for you and people like you. LEGITIMATE cultural appropriation is another story!

@Hellbent No, it's ok. I should have explained what I meant more than just putting quotations.

I think that Pete Seeger put it best

I reject the concept of "cultural appropriation".
I reject it completely, and with derision.
I don't hold much regard for "culture" in general. It's as bad as religion.
Especially when it's used as a device to separate. I'm not remotely interested in your "cultural identity". I also REALLY don't care if you're getting your panties in a wad over anyone else copying aspects of it.

@Hellbent Thanks.

The idea of cultural appropriation has its merit but not the way it is being used as a way to be outraged about everything. Here in the US we are a multicultural country and the world is not an isolated world. It is not a negative thing to try to blend in with everything good.

In fact, it seems like the whole thing has become pretty hypocritical. Where is the cultural understanding if the dialog is you can't do anything that is similar to a culture that you are not inherently a part of. Don't mix. Don't talk. Don't mingle. Stupid. Sounds more like white nationalists, Nazis and racism than what they are against.

I just looked at her Twitter feed. It is amusing. Getting people to side with Oliver is an accomplishment in itself.
UK likes to smear rather than argue from what I've read. Dawn Butler is a Corbynite, which makes anything she says open prey for the nitwit conservative UK press.

Jah Mon!...Sheffield Jamaica

cava Level 7 Aug 22, 2018

Ohhhh, another meandering cherry picked dripping-with-condescension article so that privileged people can continue to dismiss concerns of oppressed peoples.

Ah, another article where the privileged condescendingly dismisses the concerns of the oppressed.

@Hellbent If you agreed, you wouldn't have posted the article. Your agreement is irrelevant. The agreement of the oppressor is not necessary to point out the oppression.

I agree that there is oppression. Anyone can see that. Well, not everyone but I don't want to go down a rabbit hole about that. But please explain to me how eating the same food, wearing the same clothes, celebrating the same heroes has a net negative effect for either side, assuming that there is a generally positive thing that is "appropriated".
I believe that the cultural appropriation has some small merit to be looked at but is largely a distraction from much more appropriate and important subjects.

@CK-One When one side "takes credit" for the creation of said product (not just uses) then the people who actually created the product lose respect as a group and can be painted as not being able to add value to the human experience.

Taking credit for someone else's creation is not "fair use" to enhance and build a more diverse culture it's stealing the ideas and accomplishments of others. And quite frankly, telling me that there are "more appropriate and important subjects" is insulting. You don't get to decide what is "more appropriate and important subjects" in my life, I do. And your dismissal of the issue because it doesn't affect you is exactly the condescension that I was talking about above. I can walk and chew gum at the same time, so I am perfectly capable of addressing more than one issue at a time. It's called multi-tasking.

That article was tough to read. Do you think people like Butler are genuinely too stupid to recognize their intellectual dishonesty or is it willful ignorance?

I'm leaning towards stupidity.

There is no point of cultures intermixing if they can't utilize each other.

well thank fck there is nothing going on in britain politically that the labour govt MPs should be focusing on all quiet and good here but i was getting concerned about rice dishes for a while thankfully she is on the case and i can now sleep easy safe in the knowledge she is earning her salary and keeping us safe from food stuffs not being genuine

Sod that ! If you left us white folks to our own devices without any input. We would all be listening to waltzes.

Dammit.

Apparently, if I want to be "authentic", the only thing I can eat is plain, unseasoned meat & veg, since all the spices and all the recipes ( except maybe salt?) came to America via somewhere else. And far be it for me to appropriate anybody else's culture.

Wait- the McDonald's hamburger. I can always fall back on the McDonald's hamburger as an authentic piece of white American food, not stolen from anybody else. And probably Kentucky Fried Chicken, too.

But I was really looking forward to trying the Panera Bread place that just opened up locally... crap, that's probably not part of my local culture.

(This reply was all satire, for anyone who couldn't tell straightaway.)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:160934
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.